Draft Sheep?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dlskidmore
    Participant

I’ve seen a couple odd references lately to draft sheep. Some rams, some wethers were used. They obviously don’t have the power to run heavy farm machinery or plows, but could perhaps haul a little feed/water around the place. Anyone have experience with this? Can the information on draft goats translate directly to sheep?

mcm
    Participant

I have sheep, both ewes and rams, and goats, and I really have a hard time picturing this. My ewes are super skittish and flee (fast) if something spooks them. Rams are actually pretty dangerous once they hit two years of age or so. They can get extremely aggressive and they literally ram things (people, dogs, other rams, gates, fences).

Now a nanny goat I can see. A buck, no. But, goats are more likely to cooperate especially if there is a tasty morsel in it for them.

Michael Low
    Participant

Yes goats can be trained for draft work, skidding, hauling wagons etc.

Sheep were used to run treadmills. I believe the treadmills were used for butter churning.

dlskidmore
    Participant

Well, I’ve come full circle. I had a pair of oxen-that-weren’t, and I’m right now planning a pair of Wiltshire Horn sheep. I’m thinking of doing a head yoke, I’ve seen some of those in other cultures on goats…

My little garden wagon is in rough shape (bent frame), so I’m thinking of picking up a new wagon with larger wheels that can handle our rough terrain:

https://www.pinecraft.com/amish-made-large-stained-goat-wagon.html

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.