The European Tool Carrier

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment The European Tool Carrier

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Jelmer
    Participant

Hey Daniel,

This is very interesting news to see.

The Bucher is a good implement with good potential for future cultivation work. Nice how they continue where Bucher stopped.

The bicycle framed tool carrier shows how light it can be.

Vive la France 🙂

daniel grover
    Keymaster

Pretty awesome, it’s making me wish I was in France to learn more about these awesome tools. There’s a wealth of information at this site: http://hippotese.free.fr/index1.htm

Do you have any thoughts on a comparison between the Bucher, Kockerling, and Melotte?

Jelmer
    Participant

Sorry for this late response Daniel.
    The first farmers here in Holland are getting manure spread and preparing the fields and time is starting to fly again.

Sure I have many thoughts on a comparison between the brands. Here’s a few:

The Melotte is the heaviest build and would do best wider row spacings (it can carry more weight of parallel suspensions on the toolbar).
    The Kockerling and Bucher are both lighter build and for a smaller working width. You can make the toolbar wider when prefered, or find another sollution when preferred. Where you run into with the Kockerling is that it does not work with parallel suspensions. Which makes work (on a “wider” work width) go less precise. The Bucher works with parallel suspensions, so there is advantage. By looking at it, I think the parallel suspensions of the new made Bucher might not work as good as the ones made by the companies.

The steering of the Bucher and Kockerling are simular, both wheels and toolbar are moveable at the same time. This works nice. With the Melotte you only move the toolbar right or left. Though this work good too in precision hoeing.

The original steer on the Bucher was low placed and not in height adjustable. That will probably change with the new one.
    The other brands have a bycicle-like shaped steer. Which I find practical in the field, there’s only one handle bar sticking out backwards instead of two. And gives more space for you to get to the toolbar to change or adjust tools. A small difference.

Tool carriers come with different shaped toolbars. Triangle, rectangular, square. The last option is what many “tool companies” go by. So square shaped can there for be practical and offer more easier options to more buildt on tools.

What is nice about the Kockerling is that the toolbar can be taken off and easily be changed. Almost like unhitching a tree-point-hitch toolcarrier behind a tractor. Yet with a Kockerling it goes faster. So when having several toolbars, all setup for different tasks, you can change from hoeing to hilling in less than a minute. Instead of mounting off and on each tool seperately.
    This Kockerling toolbar system can be easily adapted.
    Some tractor farmers here have multiple 3-point-hitch toolbars. For unhichting they add support wheels on both sided of toolbar. So then when unhitched it can roll on a concrete floor. And easily be switched with a other toolbar and be moved around unhitched. For a heavy wide toolbar this is a nice thing to have.

Jeroen
    Participant

neobucher

Here is some news about the French Neo-bucher project:

They made two prototypes which are now being tested and evaluated in the fields. They presented one on the annual Paris agricultural show and started a crowdfunding project:

http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/neo-bucher-traction-animale-et-innovation

If they reach their goal you you get the plans and the description for 110 dollar and can fabricate one yourself. It is being redesigned so that you only need a stick welder, angle grinder and a drill press.

I will be fabricating one myself next winter, so if there is interest I will translate descriptions from French to English.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Jeroen.
    Stephen Leslie
    Participant

Thanks Jeroen—got your updated info on the Neo-Bucher into my manuscript of “Horse-Powered Farming in the 21st Century” one day before my submission deadline!

wally b
    Participant

I am working on a tool carrier based on several designs. I am in the final stages of the prototype and will be able to post pictures. It is a tool carrier with quick attach tool bars in both front and rear locations (two at one pass) and is fully adjustable width and height and steerable. It should be able to do row work and over bed cultivation as well. I should have it ready to use in about two weeks.

It basically is a cross between an AC G cultivating tractor, a beet cultivator, a pioneer homesteader, and the german tool carrier univecus.

Walt
    walt@workhorseworkshops.com
    oregon usa

daniel grover
    Keymaster

Hi Wally,

Would you consider open sourcing your design and plans so that others can benefit from this great contribution to modern horse farming. I look forward to seeing what you’re working on. Check out farmhack.org, a place for documenting, sharing, and collaboratively designing tools for resilient agriculture.

Best,

Daniel

Jeroen
    Participant

A little late, but with two days to go in the Neo Bucher crowdfunding project a presentation in English is available: http://hippotese.free.fr/blog/index.php/post/2015/05/20/Slideshow-about-the-NeoBucher-project-history-English-version-may-2015

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Jeroen.
    Jeroen
    Participant

They made it! Free plans and descriptions will become available.

neo bucher

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.