rusretfm382

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: In search for a Percheron Gelding #96232
    rusretfm382
    Participant

Still looking…5/27/2018

in reply to: Training to Stand #96013
    rusretfm382
    Participant

Thanks Carl for your input. I must say this thread with the responses it has generated has given me plenty of ideas to work on. Thanks to all.
    Dave Richard

in reply to: Training to Stand #96009
    rusretfm382
    Participant

Hi Ron and Jarad,
    Thank you for taking the time to offer training suggestions for training a draft to stand and wait patiently. Everyone who has commented has made excellent suggestions which I will incorporate into our training routine. Having a group such as DAPNet is an awesome resource to be able to call on the expertise of others. Regardless how long you have been around horse you can always learn a little more by listening to others.
    Dave R.

in reply to: Training to Stand #96006
    rusretfm382
    Participant

Hi George, Thank you for taking the time to reply and for the excellent suggestions you made. I have owned light horses for 37 years but this is the first time I have ever owned a draft horse. I have a six year old Percheron that I bought as a “green broke” three year old. He is a well mannered good horse but could use some fine tuning and improvement on the “stand” issue. I will certainly take your advice and work on the suggestions you made. Thanks again.
    Dave R.

in reply to: Poor Regeneration #90487
    rusretfm382
    Participant

Something you might want to consider assuming you have draft animals is to try the following. Before you get too far along in your TSI (just so it is easier to get around) get a hold of an old engine block with the pistons removed. Run a chain through the cylinder hole and randomly drag it around your stand to scarify the forest floor. The engine block will do a surprisingly good job of scarifying and exposing some mineral soil. If there is a developing cone crop in it’s second year in the overstory White Pine now, you should get a good seed catch in August and September when the mature cones drop their seed. Without good timing between scarification and the presence of a seed crop achieving desirable pine regeneration is difficult. Cones that will mature later this summer can be seen with binoculars and should be on the outer perimeter of upper canopy limbs and be about the size of your index finger. Any smaller than that and you are going to have to wait another year or more. It’s a two year process after fertilization. Good luck..
    Dave Richard

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)