11 year old Halfinger for sale with tack/harness

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Buy/Sell Livestock 11 year old Halfinger for sale with tack/harness

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brad Johnson
    Participant

We are in the process of selling our farm and moving to a woodlot in Northfield, VT. We have very little pasture there, so much of our farm livestock is going to have to find a new home. Meg is a pony that we bought from Neal and Becca Perry three years ago as a riding horse for our daughter Maddie. At the time, Maddie was an energetic but relatively new rider and Meg seemed to be a good fit. Now, Maddie really wants to jump and show, and Meg just is not the right choice for those activities. Also, I had planned to have Maddie pull some firewood with her, but Maddie has not had the time nor the inclination to do so. First, the positives about this pony. She is super with other horses and great around people. She joins up easily and is not aggressive. She is a super easy keeper in terms of feed and has been super healthy in her time here. Maddie has ridden her a great deal, and we have also driven her some as well. I trim her feet and they are in excellent shape, and she picks her feet up easily for working on them.

Now, the challenges with her are as follows. As a riding horse, she needs a skilled rider with a kind but firm approach – someone who will set limits and follows thru when she misbehaves. In other words, she has to have direction and leadership whether the teamster is riding or driving. True to breed form, she is a stubborn horse and patience is required. In that way she has been an awesome teacher for Maddie! Also, she is wary of us when she is in her stall. We hardly ever put our horses in our stalls, and she has never seemed comfortable there. However, at Neal and Becca’s place she was fine in the stall, so not sure what is the cause of her unease in our stalls. We do have lots of other distractions in that barn – chickens, loud shop noises, etc. and perhaps that is what does it.

She will be sold with an english saddle, two english saddle pads, one leather bridle (english), relatively new girth, turn out blanket, and d-ring nylon harness (no collar – I had to borrow one that fit her). She is priced at $1000 with equipment. At the moment, she is boarded up in Plainfield, VT at the barn where Maddie rides. I really think for the right rider or teamster she could be a great horse, for pleasure riding or working single or in a team. Please call or email if you have questions and Maddie or I can give you any other details you want or need. Thanks!
    -Brad

Brad Johnson
    Participant

I will add, since several folks has asked, that we thought Meg was 10 when we brought her home 2.5 years ago, but our vet thought she was younger than that based on her teeth. So, I am not sure what her exact age is…
    -Brad

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Price reduced on the Halflinger to $500 with tack. I am going to hang onto the harness for now.
    -Brad

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Meg is now free for the taking to a good home. We really need to get her moved as we are going to be moving before we know it…see the thread for more details.
    -Brad

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Looks like the Meg will have a new home. Thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.