3 Abreast on an Arch

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Traveling Woodsman
    Participant

I have been experimenting with 3 abreast on my arch for big logs and adverse skidding situations and I was curious if anyone else had any experience with it. I know there are a number of different ways to hook 3 abreast on a tongue (I’ve seen 3 different evener designs) and every one seems to have at least some kind of disadvantage. And of course using 3 abreast is much simpler when skidding on the ground. The particular evener I was using pulled the tongue sideways which I was able to deal with by hooking the logs off center, and it seemed to work good. I moved a lot of big wood with the setup. Just thinking about other options. Thoughts?

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Benjamin:

I welded a receiver on my arch to receive and offset pole. The pole on my Forest arch is fastened to the arch with one pin. This same pin also holds the evener. When I want to run 3, I pull the pin, move the pole to the off-set receiver, and fasten the 3 abreast evener in the center of the arch. If your pole is off-set, you can use a standard 3 abreast evener (like one you would use ground skidding). The off-set pole also centers your horses in the road (unlike a center pole with 3 abreast). This is a big advantage in the woods. If you want, I can snap some pictures.

George

PS How’s the tree jacking? Any new insights?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I use three abreast quite bit although only a few times in the woods. George is right the off set tongue is the easiest and straightest way to hook up three to a cart. It gets all your power straight in front of you. It takes some work to make it so you can move your tongue, but once you are set up it is easy. Some caution should be taken with a D ring harness and three abreast. The ideal set up for D ring would be two tongues or heavy shafts, holding a three horse neck yoke. When using three horses with an offset tongue and a two horse yoke just remember that when the horse not on the yokes backs or slackens he loosens the hitch and will lower the tongue and yokes. Horses can work in this set up, but I kind of watch which horses I put where and pay attention while driving. With a western brichen harness the extra horse can make the yoke slip off the pole. You need to attach that yoke to the pole even if you never do in normal two horse operations.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hey Donn:

I agree that 2 poles would be ideal. Les Barden is a big proponent of this set-up and wrote short article in SFJ a while back. I welded up a 3 horse neck yoke to address the problem you outline above. It ties all horses into the pole and minimizes slackening of the hitch.

George

LStone
    Participant

Two poles and a three horse neck yoke for 3 abreast in the D-ring is key for me. That explains a lot! Now I have to set up for it. Thanks again guys!

Grandad
    Participant

I built a set of double poles for three abreast and am very happy with it. Originally I built a one piece neck yoke and then modified the neck yoke into a two piece affair. The one piece neck yoke is fine for level ground but the two piece is much better if the ground you are working on is uneven. I have attached a couple of photos. One of each type of neck yoke. The focus isn’t very good for the two piece yoke but it gives you the idea.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.