3 horse evener

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jac
    Participant

Can anyone tell me the size for a 3 horse evener for a 14″ riding plow. I seem to have got a 14″ instead of a 12″ plow and will need to go to 3 up…
    John

mitchmaine
    Participant

hi john, the math says a 14″ plow wants a 38″ evener so you would need a 57″ 3 horse evener. thats bigger than the one pioneer sells by 3″. sounds big but so does 14″. you might try making a hardwood version with adjustable holes in it, and trying it till it goes to your liking. good luck, mitch

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Does your plow use a tongue or no tongue? With out a tongue I find the shortest three horse evener your horses will work in comforatable will allow for the best plow adjustment. When you use three horses you draft attachment is moving left (right hand plow) adding side draft. the wider the evener the more it needs to move away from the center of the plow. I like to plow with three if it is hard going; sod, etc. It helps an inexperienced horse figure out what to do with out just focusing on how hard it is to pull. Easier to teach them to go slowly, etc. Down side is it can be harder to get the plow set up nicely.

jac
    Participant

Hi Donn.. the plow has a tongue. I think i may try the mares again as I have set the plow up in the barn. The kv bottom is supposed to be the easiest to pull. Will the side draft be bad enuf to cause sores do you think? Really wet here so mite be a week or so before we get it back in the field…
    John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.