3 point hitch trailer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I found a used ground drive PTO cart that I would like to buy. I would like to use it with my small (4ft) brushhog and I think a 3 point trailer would work best to keep everything balanced out.
    Has anyone build a 3pt trailer cart, Or do you know of any that are being built? I dont think it will be too hard to build but I dont want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks

Jeroen
    Participant

Do you mean something like this?:

pintow

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I think ground driven Brush hogs have been a little tricky. I will be interested to see how well it works. The power demand for a brush hog goes up and down so much when it hits the brush. That is what makes it hard to match to a PTO cart.

Anthony
    Participant

I believe I and J makes both a hydraulic and manual lift 3 pt hitch trailer cart. I thought white horse did as well (I thought I had seen pictures), but when I called last Fall it seemed otherwise. As you explore the options, I’d be interested to hear what you find. I was looking around for a trailer 3 pt cart for garden implements like a bed shaper and cultimulcher/perfecta, among other things last fall and may move that way again.

Since you’re interested in GD PTO too, did you see Bill Acquaviva/Livewater has a Teamster 2000 for sale?

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Yes Jeroen that is what I was picturing. Do you have any more pictures of that one?
    There is a picture of one on the I and J site but nothing listed that I could see.

Donn, I am curious to see how it works as well. Most of the time I will be using it for clipping some of the bumpier pastures. If it doesnt work I will put a motor on the brush hog, “live PTO” that way.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I found a picture of an I&j Cart with a brush hog. It isnt on a 3pt cart but it looks like it is running.

Scroll down a way
    http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/general-homesteading-forums/homesteading-questions/437420-farming-horse-power.html

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hey, Don’t get me wrong, I am not suggesting you shouldn’t do it. That picture (video?) shows a brush hog mowing something easily cut with a mower. I know if I had a brush hog it would live on brambles and small trees and brush, much harder stuff to cut. My wife constantly asks for a DR mower. I am getting four goats instead! I have some experience with PTO carts, and I have found that the key to success is carefully matching the power required for the equipment pulled, with the weight (and gearing) of the PTO cart, with the size and number of horses. Anything under powered and the equipment doesn’t run well (plugging a baler is not acceptable to me), over weight and a lot of horse power can be wasted. Carl runs a small brush mower like that with his fore cart. I think that works for him.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Donn Hewes.
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I have a small tractor that I have been brushhogging with since I was a kid and am very hard on it. Based on that experience my expectations for the ground drive brush hog are pretty low, but I think/hope it will work well for clipping pastures and 1st year growth. If I can get the $ for the cart and build the 3pt trailer I will find a lot of uses for it.

I cant afford the I and J trailer mower but I can find pto sickle bar mowers for very cheap. Can you think of any downsides to running one of those off of a 3pt cart?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

No, I think you are right in that they were pretty common and easy to find. With the right one it would be pretty easy to fix it up and make it work good. It might be slightly less powerful, (efficient) than a regular horse mower. This could be made up for by using a shorter bar, doing less hay, or using more horses on the PTO cart.

Carl Russell

Yes that’s right. I have found that it is pretty easy work clipping pastures with a HD sickle mower. I have used the DR for filed renovation, and heavy growth left after grazing. I like to mulch down the crop so it incorporates easily, as I will occasionally cut a second hay crop off early pasture.

The DR is a loud thing, but runs smoothly. I have found it works fest behind a steady team. It does throw projectiles from time to time, so the Barden cart with its solid back is another asset. It is also costly, and requires fuel, but it has been a boon in our pasture reclamation..

Carl

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Carl Russell.
    Jeroen
    Participant

I found 3 other photo’s of Charlie Pinny’s 3point-system:

p1

p2

p3

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.