3 Row Riding Cultivator

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Goranson Farm
    Participant

I’ll give more background information on this machine in the next couple days. I thought it would be fun to share some photos of the process.

Last winter, Jonathan at Crossroad Cultivator and I teamed up to build the frame. I’m currently fabricating the tool bars, lift mechanism, and the side to side gang adjustment levers. There are a slew of features that make the McD cultivators the dreamboat of cultivators primarily all the adjustments you can make without leaving the seat. This comes in very handy on a diverse vegetable farm. I wanted to keep all the “bells and whistles” with the Goranson Farm 3 Row Riding Cultivator. It has definitely taken some tinkering but I think I’ve got the majority of the design figured out.

FYI: The sweeps/shovels are not in their correct positions yet. I was playing around with them trying to trouble shoot things last night… Its amazing how much time I’ve spent just standing, beer in hand, looking at this freaking machine!

Here are the “million dollar” questions…
    How do I build the lift mechanism to adjust each side independently while not impeding the ability to adjust my cultivation width with the lever.

How can I redesign the cultivator so each gang floats independently via a parallelogram (like the I and J cultivators) and gauge wheels? This is for future units. I’ve got some ideas but always love to hear different opinions.

Hope the photos come through!

After I finish I hope to post the design plans to the forum so others can fabricate this unit for themselves. I would be happy to fabricate machines for those not interested in doing it themselves. I’m pretty excited about the potential of this machine for our farm and other farms interested in pursing hybrid models.

Carl

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dominiquer60

A regular McCormick Deering has independent lifts for each gang, what limits you from using that mechanism? I am not very good picturing these without both visuals in front of me.

Have you looked to any of the KULT systems for parallelogram inspiration?

Erika

Goranson Farm
    Participant

Have to hit the hay but thought I would take a moment to post another photo. Almost done, just have to trim some brackets and add the torsion and tine weeders. The tooling for the center row is not set up.

Erika, We ended up rigging up lift mechanisms for each gang. Super slick! The side shift which narrows/widens the toolbars works incredibly well. Jonathan and I were about 2 inches off 6 foot centers with the wheel base. When we were assembling the frame I didn’t think it would be much of an issue but it definitely has had a substantial impact.

Carl

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.