A hard decision..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    wild millers
    Participant

As some of you may, or may now know Annalisa and I have been leasing some land on her family’s farm for the last 5 years. We have been learning what it means to be good small farmers while building our market garden business and community. We have recently come to the realization that we will be out growing our space here in a short amount of time. The fact that we weren’t going to find our long term home here has been floating in the back of our minds for quite some time, though we haven’t allowed ourselves to fully acknowledge it. We have also known about the lead paint issues in our old farmhouse and not really known how to acknowledge them until our 11 month old daughters bloods tests came back with scarily high levels of lead in them.

We have decided to continue our work here for the next year while we look for a small farm of our own. Hoping to transition in the fall of 2014 as we wrap up next growing season.

We are putting this information out to our extended community with the hopes that you all will keep us in the back of your minds when you may hear about some special place that might be appropriate for us. This will be a farm to make our home. To continue and expand our growing, organically minded, horse powered market gardening operation. Somewhere in the range of 40-100 acres would be ideal. A small house and big barn. At least 10 acres tillable, 10 in hay/pasture, and 10+ acres of woodlot. Ideally more forested land to possibly continue our maple syrup production and ecologically minded woodlot management.

We would like more than anything to stay as local as possible to the family farm and the greater community that has so lovingly accepted us here in the seacoast of New Hampshire. Realistically though, we are very interested in exploring any option that may seem appropriate for us in the North east. NH and ME both feel like home to us.

This is a scary/exciting decision for us, but one that comes from our hearts. It will be a positive move for our family and one that we feel really good about. We firmly believe that listening to our hearts and that feeling in your gut that tells you the right thing to do, cannot be the wrong choice. That by putting faith in our hearts, our love, work ethic, community, friends and the magic that can follow these things, we will find our home. Thank you for hearing us out. All our best.
    -Joel Annalisa and Ayla Wild Miller

dominiquer60

I don’t know if either of you are pieces, but I just read a horoscope that reads “the treasure that you seek is in what you fear the most.” Perhaps this has some merit here.

I am sorry to hear about your precious little one, I hope that time away from it will bring her levels down to reasonable, a friend back home had the same problem and was able to overcome this problem with time.

You are correct that moving is both exciting and scary. I have no doubt that folks like you, with such dedication to the small farm lifestyle, and with such an openness to finding the right situation, will find what you seek.

Best Wishes on your new journey,

wild millers
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words Erika, neither of us are pisces, though that does ring true right now.

We’ll update here as things evolve..

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Joel and Ayla-
    My wife and I moved from ME to VT about 6 years ago, and we love it here. Maine is wonderful as well, but we have enjoyed this place immensely. There is farm and forest land for sale over here. The guy I log with knows the area very well and knows of several pieces for sale near his farm in Washington Vt. Let me know if you want Bob’s contact info. He is a super nice fellow and would be happy to speak with you. Good luck to you both and your little one!
    -Brade

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hey Joel:

Here is a link that might be of interest to you:

George

Does’ Leap
    Participant
    wild millers
    Participant

Hi Brad, I already have Bob’s number but hadn’t thought of giving him a call, thanks for the suggestion.

George, I had not found that website yet, thanks for the link. Mostly we have been looking in NH and ME because we know these areas a little bit better than we know VT. We are open to all the options though..

wild millers
    Participant

Hello to all.. It looks as though we may have found our home. 80 acres in Palermo, Maine with nice flat fields, good soils, good water, and a large woodlot. We’re set to close at the end of March!

From a side glace, we have met and/or heard of about half a dozen other young farming families in the same region that are working with draft horses. Anyone on here have any connections in the area?

We will still farm this season in NH, but we plan to also spend the summer liming and plowing fields in ME as well as hiring out some big structural repairs to the old P&B barn, and prepping the house for us to move to in the fall of 2014.

For a better look, check it out on the Web Soil Survey at 1165 Turner Ridge Rd. Palermo, ME.

Thanks for all your suggestions and support this fall. We’ll update again when its all settled!

Stephen Leslie
    Participant

This is good news! We all need folks like you to be on the ground doing what you love—so great that you are taking these next steps towards HOME.

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

That looks great. Is it on the west side of the road?

dominiquer60

Nice spread, it will be nice to have neighbors to connect with. It is great to hear such news.

Jeroen
    Participant

Congratulations, well done! Seems like a good choice.

Tender Soles
    Participant

Congratulations Joel and Ayla! Kate and I live nearby in Whitefield right now and are working on getting a lease on land and a house in Jefferson. Both are about half an hour from that property. Let us know when you’re in the area or if you have anything we can help you with.

Regards,
    Rich

tendersolesfarm@gmail.com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.