Abscess at Coronary

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses Abscess at Coronary

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

One of my mares went lame this last week. We were working in a brushy area with a lot of hawthorn and roses. I didnt find anything stuck in her foot so I figured it was small. The coronary band was a little warm and swollen so I soaked the hoof in epsom salts a couple of times. Yesterday it burst and is pretty raw looking, the raw area is about 2 inches long. I am putting iodine on it and she is on a high dry clean pasture. She is putting more weight on it but still seems pretty sore, Anything else I should be doing?

The last time I had to do this was a few years ago and the burst was only about 1/2 an inch long.

Livewater Farm
    Participant

sounds like it was a gravel that traveled up a flaxseed poultice will help draw the infection out check bottom of hoof clean around the white line you may find where the gravel is might have to put shoes on
    Bill

Derek O’Toole
    Participant

Hi Jared,
    I have treated many of these abscesses over the years on both light and heavy horses.
    I usual start treatment just like your approach with soaking in Epsom salts to help draw the abcess out and soften up the coronary band tissue (the warmer the water the better). A few more soaks after it ruptures doesn’t hurt either. It is best to be thorough while the wound is new, you don’t want to trap any of the infection if the wound begins to heal at the surface. If the horse isn’t bare foot I would pull the shoe and attempt to find the origin without being overly invasive. In my experience I have only seen them track up through the white line even along the bars. If I do find the entry on the sole I will sometimes back flush the cavity with hydrogen peroxide or another appropriate solution with a 412 type syringe. You know you got it when the solution comes running out of the coronary band exit wound. I will then apply a layer of Icthammol just around the coronary band, which I wrap with heavy paper and then vet wrap. Whatever will hold it in place.
    If the abscess comes out at the coronary band it has traveled quite a long way and has done some damage to the lamina on its travels. The longer it has festered the more damage caused. Once it has ruptures I typical see the horse improve about 75% immediately. The next 25% can be a little slow but they all seem to come around. I have heard a hundred ways of dealing with “gravels” but this method has worked for me.
    Good luck.
    -Derek

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Thanks, When I got home from work she seemed a lot better than this morning even trotted around the pasture a little bit. I will try to keep it clean and I might need to spring for a farrier for this next trim. I am a mediocre farrier but I have never had any issues, it sounds like I need to learn some more from someone with experience.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

What should I use to judge when it is ok to start working her again? I have a bunch of light firewood work and some heavy skids that are less than 200 feet to landing.

dominiquer60

Give the wound a little time to heal up before working her, once closed, the chances of infection is less. Even if you use a little vet wrap to protect it, it can come off and the wound should be kept clean.

Sounds like a big one. If it is anything like the photo attached, it may haunt you for a while. This one was bad, he had it back in January from a poor transition to barefoot. This summer after it grew out half way, a good 3.5 inch chunk of wall fell off below it. Thankfully he is retired now, but with a horse in work with a missing piece of foot, it can take some fancy shoeing to keep the support that they need.

Best wishes for an uncomplicated recovery.

Erika

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Yeah hers is similar but further back.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.