Activism Results

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Well, I am not real good at navigating these sites, but wanted to share a photo that was on the front page of our local weekly newspaper last week.

The reason is to share the results of our public educational activism here in this small community over the last thirty years or so. Those results are reflected in the painting made for a local event called the Sustain Floyd Eco Fair. The event was primarily a supporting event for Bill Mc Kibbens (Vermont writer) 350.0rg group, but had many local community members with booths selling their goods and promoting their causes. The booths were set up in a pavilion built with DRAFTWOOD community “green” certified forest products in a hybrid timber frame and steel structure. My son and a couple or other HHFF trained practicing biological woodsmen manned the HHFF booth. I attended (without horses) the Blue Ridge Folklife festival to support three Biological Woodsmen that were participating in the 36th annual draft horse pulling contest.

The photo is of a painting by an artist I don’t personally know. The image includes at the top dead center a pair of reddish brown horses pulling a log and a text line saying – “forest management”. It is inspiring that this is the definition this artist had of what forest management in a sustainable way is.
    It is somewhat anecdotal proof that our public educational efforts are working, at least in this small community. My point in posting it is to encourage other folks doing similar work to not be discouraged when it seems no-one is paying any attention. Some folks actually are paying attention and this art reflects that.

Hope the DAP community enjoys this art and their work as much as we do. Keep up your good work and share when you can and if you may….

Sincerely,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.