Adjusting oxen plows

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Oxen Adjusting oxen plows

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bendube
    Participant

Hi all,
    We’re thinking that our plow is a little big for our team, an thinking of getting a smaller one. One issue comes with the adjustment:
    With horses, the size of your evener should be based on the size of the plow. Our yoke (which functions as the evener, right?) is quite wide compared to the relatively small walking plow (8″-10″) that we might use. Is that going to ruin the horizontal adjustment and make it hard for the plow to ride true?

I’ve only used a riding plow with oxen (walking of course) and so I don’t have a great understanding of making the proper adjustments.

Thanks,
    Ben

dominiquer60

“Is that going to ruin the horizontal adjustment and make it hard for the plow to ride true?”

Sam says it will impact the horizontal adjustment some, but not ruin it. Use a longer hitch chain to lessen some of the side draft.

Is this for the team of Devons? If they are mature they should not have an issue with that size plow.

bendube
    Participant

Thanks Erika,
    Our boys are still a little out of shape from their 2 year hiatus from work (4-H team that had been living with heifers and dry cows at a dairy), so the 14″ riding plow is a bit of a struggle, even set shallowly.
    They wander a bit side-to-side as they struggle, and spend most of their time blowing. I hope we can work up to our large plow, but I think the small plow would be more pleasant for all involved right now.

-Ben

dominiquer60

14″ is good sized, we use 3 horses for ours. If they were my steers I would certainly not hesitate to go down to a smaller plow, the side draft will be less frustrating to all than a plow share too large for the teams fitness level. My team is never very hard so I use a plow size that I know that they will have success with. We can get more done with a more comfortable situation than a struggling situation.

Jumping in and out of the furrow while they struggle is a bad habit that you don’t want them to get used to. Depending on the plow you may be able get a 12″ bottom so that you can work up to the 14″ when the time comes. But yes for now if you can get a smaller walking plow go for it.

Good Luck

bendube
    Participant

Hi Erika,
    Loving your little plow! We’ll try to send along some pictures.

I’m going to try adjusting the ring staple on the yoke over towards the off ox to help with the side draft. It goes over about an inch. I’m not sure if that’s going to good by straightening out the line of draft, or mess the animals up by having them work less effectively. Does that seem like a decent idea? I’ll report back.

dominiquer60

Sam is not here tonight, so I will do my best. As long at the off ox is comfortable with this change and the plow goes better I say great. If not, try playing with lengthening the chain some and see if that helps.

I found your plow in the Oliver catalog, they claim that it is a good plow for sand, gravel or clay and that the slanting landslide is good for crumbling the furrow well. It originally sold for $18 with out the gauge wheel. There is no date on the catalog, but this model was one of the original models that made the company fame and was produced for many years as a multi-purpose light 2 horse plow.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.