Agriculture trainee searching for place to learn!

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Our Member’s Map Agriculture trainee searching for place to learn!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    HeleneMeden
    Participant

Hello
    I am a Danish student in ecological agriculture and I am looking for a farm where I can do 4-6 months of practice – and learning how to use draft horses in the field. Can anyone recommend something?
    Thank you in advance.

Helene

daniel grover
    Keymaster
    dominiquer60

http://www.mofga.org/Programs/FarmApprenticeships/tabid/502/Default.aspx

If I had a place for you to stay, I would be interested in having you at my farm.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by dominiquer60.
    dominiquer60

Helene,
    The 2 websites above with bring you to lists of farms looking for apprentices (temporary jobs where learning skills and culture is emphasized). Daniel’s link is to apprenticeships on draft animal powered farms, my link is to farms in the state of Maine that belong to the largest organic farming organization in the states. There are many different farms to choose from if you know where to look. In Maine some have forest or fishery elements to the businesses.

What is your interest in? Raising animals, large scale agriculture, vegetables, grain crops, fiber animals, small scale agriculture, dairy, or a little of everything? Eco-agriculture is a large topic. Narrowing it down will help us help you.

Erika

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Helene-
    We take a summer season apprentice starting in late May, though most of our horse work is working in the woods – logging. If that is of interest, get in touch and we can chat about it. There are lots of wonderful apprenticeships around for field work with animals, depending on what you are after.
    -Brad

HeleneMeden
    Participant

Thanks to you all!
    I now look at all the different farms and do more research. Thank you SO much, it is really a jungle when you don’t know where to look!
    I have a whole year to find a place – the practice period will be from spring/summer next year. But because of visa-regulations and paperwork I need to be in good time!

Erika, to answer your question: My primary focus is vegetables and how to work with horses instead of machines in these fields. BUT, any kind of small scale agriculture who has “the whole circle” is of interest. Beside vegetables, I have worked with sheeps, goats, chickens, olives and a tiny bit of wood-work with horses before. I wish to learn how to apply the horses to small scale vegetables-production, to be able to use it and teach here in Denmark. We have so little land compared to the US, and we use SO many resources with big machinery – it seems to me a big waste and unnecessary damage to the soil.
    If you -or others – can recommend specific farms you are so welcome, and again thanks for all your help!
    Best, Helene

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by HeleneMeden.
    dominiquer60

Helene,

That information makes it easier to recommend some good farms for you. I would enjoy having you on my own farm, but I don’t know that I could fine housing in a year, but maybe something good will surface. Natural Roots Farm (Conway, MA) is then next farm that comes to mind, but I think that if you look at some of those lists, you will find several good options.

I am glad that we could help. Let us know if you have any more questions and we will try to help as best as we can.

While you are planning you stay in the USA, consider attending the 2017 Draft Animal Power Field Day in New Hampshire, it will be in late September or early October.

Erika

wally b
    Participant

Our farm hosts several educational programs.

Visit our web site:

workhorseworkshops.com

walt

Livewater Farm
    Participant

we will be seeking an apprentice for the 2017 season
    staring in Jan/Feb 2017

veg production
    greenhouse production
    maple sugaring
    woods work
    cheese production
    farmers markets
    haying
    meat production pastured beef pork chicken
    pastured egg production
    grass fed dairy
    housing available

we are a mixed powered farm using Percheron horses in field and woods work

Livewater Farm
    Bill/ Taylor/Muffin Acquaviva
    Putney Vermont
    802 387 4412

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.