Alfalfa hay?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bruha6
    Participant

i have rented my land past few years and it is presently planted w alfalfa. i have also acquired my first team. some people have told me to only feed alfalfa mixed w other hay, only in moderation, or not at all. some books suggest it is fine to feed alfalfa, what does everyone else think?

jen judkins
    Participant

I think it depends….

I try hard not to feed more than 20% alfalfa…but if it was all I had access to for a season, I sure would try to make it work. Its quite high in calcium, which is its major drawback, in my mind. That might not be an issue for a young growing horse, whose calcium requirements are higher. But for an older horse all that extra calcium can lead to inflammatory issues and arthritis.

I bought my main saddle horse right out of a alfalfa field in Colorado. He was fat and healthy looking, but he has really suffered over the years with joint problems. Whether it was the alfalfa or just him, I don’t really know…..but the joint issues have resolved with a more balanced hay ration. Just my own experience.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.