Animal Power Exhibit

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Community Animal Power Exhibit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jean
    Participant

A friend of mine is working on an exhibit for the Flemming Museum in Burlington on the use of Animal Power in Vermont. We are looking for historical pictures of livestock working the farm. We have a lot of horses, mules and goats already. We would love some of oxen or dogs. We would be interested in seeing anything you have. It can be any format (painting, sketches, photos, etc..)

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you have something you would be interested in loaning us.

Thanks

Jean Cross
    jmnvt@yahoo.com

Carl Russell

http://www.uvm.edu/landscape/search/thumbnails.php?imageSet=1389222529-52cdda81d5964

Here is a link to an excellent searchable archive of historical photos of VT….. this link is the result of a search for pics with key word oxen….

Carl

Carl Russell
    Carl Russell

Carl Russell

Carl Russell

Carl Russell

Carl Russell

OKAY… admittedly I got over-enthusiastic… but I can’t help myself… Look at these guys. They were still around when I was a child. These are the Vermonters I grew up knowing….. makes my heart ache.

Carl

Carl Russell

Carl Russell

Carl Russell

Jean
    Participant

OMG Carl, you nailed it!!

Thanks so much.

Jean

Carl Russell

I just love the guy with the wood stove on top of the load of logs…

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

I spotted that wood stove, too. I wonder how far he was traveling…
    In that first picture, do you think that is a spring pole chain binder on the top of the load?
    Great pics (including that (unintentional?) shot of ’70’s fashion!)
    Thanks,
    Mark

Carl Russell

Yes that is definitely a spring pole binder…. it was a common feature of most of the logging pictures I found. Pretty common and effective way to bind a load back then.

Carl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.