Animal Power Forestry Course

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Education Animal Power Forestry Course

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tracey
    Participant

MOFGA is offering an introduction to Low Impact Forestry November 20-23 in Unity Maine. During the Low Impact Forestry workshop participants have the opportunity to work with horses and oxen with close guidance/instruction from experienced teamsters and drovers. It’s a great way for folks to broaden and deepen their understanding of draft animal power and of wood lot management. http://www.mofgastore.org/product.sc?productId=58&categoryId=5

Brad Johnson
    Participant

This is a super intro to working with animals and small machinery in the woods. I started as a student in this program in 2000 and have been teaching there since. The instructors are great teachers and students bring all sorts of interests and experiences. And, you won’t find a more affordable workshop given what you learn and the incredible food!
    -Brad

Goranson Farm
    Participant

hi brad,

is it possible to bring my own team or single horse?

Tender Soles
    Participant

Carl,

Give me a call and we can figure out getting your horse or horses there. I’m not in charge of decided who comes, but I can get you in touch with Pete Haggerty.

Rich

Brad Johnson
    Participant

I second Rich’s idea there – Pete would the one to check with. I think you would be able to bring your single or team this year!
    -Brad

Tracey
    Participant

Yes, folks can bring their own horse/s to the MOFGA Low Impact Forestry workshop. Contact John Plowden for details about bringing horses: jsplowden@gmail.com

Goranson Farm
    Participant

Great! Just sent out the email. I’m not positive Hallie and I will be ready by Nov. We have definitely made progress the past couple weeks, but with field work dwindling I’m a bit worried we won’t work together as often as this past month.

Any ideas for some moderately heavy work one can find around a farm this time of year that would provide a safe environment to train a green horse? I feel like I’ve got a ton of potential cart work for my older Belgians, I just don’t trust Hallie with it yet (So much standing).

carl ny
    Participant

Hook your young horse with one of the older ones.

carl ny

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Do you have a drag harrow? I like to train horses with a loose hitch on drag in pasture. It is safe and good, steady draft. Also is good conditioning for pasture this time of year, especially if you have spread manure first.
    -Brad

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.