Annual Gathering at Fair Winds Farm and DAP Annual Meeting Sept 16-18

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Events DAPNet Annual Gathering Annual Gathering at Fair Winds Farm and DAP Annual Meeting Sept 16-18

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Participant

Annual Gathering at Fair Winds Farm and DAP Annual Meeting Sept 16-18

We are getting ready for you all to come- We have ground to plow, harrow and seed, oats to thresh, powered by a 2 horse treadmill, logs to skid and pile, loose hay to bring in if the weather allows, good food to enjoy in great company and much more. Put Sept 16-18 on your calendar now if it’s not already there and send in the form (so we can have an idea of number of people to feed). Discount on food before for registering before Sun, Sept 4. Info is on the DAP site and at http://www.fairwindsfarm.org
    We are looking for a few more teams of any kind (mules, oxen, horses) – contact us if you’d like to bring yours. We have about 16-20 animals animals coming now. E-mail fairwindsfarm.org or call 802-254-9067.

We want the gathering to continue to be a low key event where draft animal people can get together and do what we love to do best – share working with our animals and each other. There is as much to do as we might want. Come and camp here if you wish – we have the food and dry space if it might be needed and lots of good company.

Field work: plowing, harrowing, planting
    Thresh oats, thresher powered by 2 horse treadmill
    Loose hay pickup and in the barn
    Skid and stack logs and tops
    Obstacle course
    3 horse line comparison
    DAP Annual Meeting
    Lots of great company

Looking forward to seeing you ALL

Best, Jay and Janet Bailey and committee

dominiquer60

Bailey Family-

How did you fair the storm? When things settle down it would be good to know what roads will not be passable to the upcoming gathering. I know Rt. 9 from Bennington was closed, but hopefully that was just for water over the road and not under or through it.
    I hope all is well, and if there are any big problems I hope that they are nothing 20 animals and their teamsters can’t fix:)

My best to you all,

jen judkins
    Participant

I, too am concerned about damage from Irene. Hope to hear from you guys soon.

On another note….who will be coming to the Annual gathering weekend and meeting? Hope its a good crowd!

Jay
    Participant

Hello all, we are all fine and so is the farm. We are luckily on higher land that is sandy and well drained.
    We are very much looking forward to the gathering and seeing you all. We have plenty of room and plenty to do if people want.
    Friday eve pot luck and probably some music afterwards.
    We were up north Tues visiting Neal and Bekah and saw some of the washouts on the way. Thinking of all of you who have that to deal with. Best to all, Jay and Janet

Livewater Farm
    Participant

Jay would you like me to bring any equipment ie. white horse plow teamster 2000 fore cart etc.
    Bill

imported_Stella
    Participant

until September 10
    In light of the recent hurricane and related upheaval, we have extended the preregistration deadline for the FWF Gathering until September 10. Get a discount on meals and registration by sending your form in early! We really rely on your preregistration to know how much food, how many chairs, etc. It will be a weekend of working animals, learning by doing, asking, watching and listening with lots of experienced teamsters on hand to share their knowledge and experience. Come join us!

dominiquer60

Thanks Beka!
    We will include this new date in our next eNews which will be coming out very soon.
    Erika

Anthony
    Participant

What’s the schedule look like/what’s going on each day? I’d like to come out but have limited time.

near horse
    Participant

I will forward a request from some of our membership:

If there are any demonstration(s) of equipment or techniques at the annual meeting, please make every effort to document them ideally with video. There’s been a proposal for us to develop a very directed “how to ……. ” and have it available either here on the forum or on our sister site and these video clips could provide a nice visual.

Jay
    Participant

Bill, thanks for the offer. The white horse plow or any type of logging arch… or your team if you like. At this point, I don’t have anything mobile that uses PTO. Thanks, Jay

Jay
    Participant

Here is a address to our page with the week-end’s schedule. Copy and paste. http://www.fairwindsfarm.org/horseEvents.html#FWFGathering

Friday is arrival and finishing set-up, chores, potluck supper, visiting and music. Saturday morning is people and animals working on projects around the farm, with weather playing a big role is determining which ones we tackle. In the afternoon there will be activities around the barn, ring, and buildings. Saturday evening the gates open at 5:00pm free of charge for those wishing to attend the DAPNet annual meeting, starting at 7:00pm. Sunday plans include hitching 3 abreast, with the event closing with lunch at noon.
    Jay

imported_Stella
    Participant

Anyone out there willing to do some videoing? We don’t have any equipment or expertise, but if others do, that’s great. -Bekah

jen judkins
    Participant

An update is available, as well as the registration form, on our website. http://www.draftanimalpowernetwork.org/Annual_Gathering Please pay attention to road closings on Rte 30 and 9 west of Brattleboro.

Jay
    Participant

Hope all are well and not too washed out. David and Anna, thinking of you and anyone else who was washed out. Let us know if there is something we can help with.
    We are well here and busy getting ready for the coming weekend. Finally drying out some. A couple of notices, due to other circumstances, a couple of the teams we were expecting for the gathering wont be able to make it, leaving a couple of spaces. If anyone has or knows of a quiet team or 2 that might be interested in coming, please let us know- call or email. jay@fairwindsfarm.org , also, please consider at least calling and saying you are thinking of coming, even if you don’t get the form sent in. We keep hearing that many people will be here which is the whole idea, but we don’t yet have any real idea on numbers. Again, please call or email jay@fairwindsfarm.org or 802-254-9067. Thanks, Jay and Janet and all.

dominiquer60

Route 9 opens and part of 30 too!

I am happy that my 145 mile trip just shrank back into a pre-Irene 55 mile trip, less driving and more helping the Baileys, woohoo!

Rutland Herald

STAFF REPORT – Published: September 10, 2011

The Vermont Agency of Transportation opened Route 9 to full public travel late Friday afternoon, restoring a critical east-west travel corridor.

The agency also reopened a bridge along Route 30 at the Dummerston and Newfane town line. The opening reestablishes public access along Route 30 as far northwest as Jamaica, where the road remains closed due to storm damage that is still under repair.

Tropical Storm Irene caused considerable damage along Route 9, knocking out a bridge in Woodford and washing away several roadway segments between Marlboro and West Brattleboro. Route 9 through the heart of Wilmington also received considerable damage. As a result, the entire 35-mile stretch of Route 9 between Woodford and West Brattleboro was closed.

“Travel between Bennington and Brattleboro since the storm has been challenging as the detours were exceptionally long,” said Gil Newbury, incident commander for VTrans recovery efforts across southeast Vermont. “Reopening Route 9 allows not only residents but businesses to return to something that is close to normal.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.