Another one to add to the list

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Working with Draft Animals Another one to add to the list

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Billy Foster
    Participant

I have only been working horses for a very short time. Our farm is small at a little over 40 acres and any grass goes to the sheep so I decided to get Haflingers since they would eat hay that the sheep would not and will work hard enough to earn their keep. I remember when I was looking for a teem I would see some for sale that had a list of abilities and appeared to be very useful animals. I would look at you-tube videos of well trained teems and really be impressed. When people think of draft horses they think of horses that are much larger than my ponies at 14.2hh and 15hh. I went to a plow contest and some woman asked me if they were babies. Lets face it they look like the little girls toy “my pretty pony”. I decided if I was going to have small horses I would at least have the workingest pair of ponies around. I have been so impressed with these 2 that I have. While the 4 yo was spooky when I got him in December they have developed very well and the 4 yo is not spooky anymore. This weekend I decided to mow down the clover I was planning to cut for hay with the brush mower, for several reasons. Other than ponies being extra “alert” when I first started the engine they did great. The field is clean with no sticks or rocks so it was a nice place to introduce this to them. I was so impressed, after a few passes they fell into a groove and it was a real joy to mow that field.

Billy Foster
    Participant

Anyone have any experiance running a rotory mower with a ground drive pto fore cart? I am thinking about it and getting a 3rd Haflinger for the times I need a little more power. Donn did the pto cart you built out of a mower gear work well?

Billy

Marshall
    Participant

Looks very nice. I can’t wait until I can start using mine again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.