Any Buzz Saw sharpeners out here?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Homestead Any Buzz Saw sharpeners out here?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What im wondering is, If a tooth points out one particular direction, say right, with me faceing it from the back of the saw, Does the file go from left to right with the R side/end of the tooth being higher than the left/end thickness of the tooth, with the outside edge being the actual cutting edge, OR NOT??

mitchmaine
    Participant

hey farmallb, all saws should have set in them meaning each consecutive tooth sticks out to the opposite side. the cordwood saw or crosscut saw has a ten degree bevel so that the outside of the tooth is the long point and brings the chip back into the tooth gullet to spit it out when it comes out of the wood. the rip saw like a sawmill is flat across the face like holding a chisel square to the grain nand pushing on it. your chainsaw is basically a crosscut saw and each other tooth is filed to the outside with the long point out and a slight rise to the point and bevel. crosscut goes against the grain of the wood so you have to cut at an angle, where ripping is with the grain and you cut square to the grain. hope that isn’t to confusing, i’m a picture guy, not a word guy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I assume by what you say that im right that the outside of any particular tooth is the sharp edge. If that is so, than I would file it from opposite the higher/leading edge out towards the leading edge. Is that right??

mitchmaine
    Participant

i think what you are saying is right. on a circular saw blade, the face of the tooth is what you file, outwards to the long point. the top of the tooth does the cutting.
    in a true or proper job of filing, the blade ought to be joined by passing a file or stone over the tops of all the teeth while someone slowly turns the arbor. that makes all the teeth true to length. then hammered and set, and finally filed. but a cordwood saw takes such abuse and no one cares about the cut unless its dull. most people just file the teeth.
    joining and setting keeps the saw running true and not binding in the cut.
    when its done right, the saw sucks itself through the wood, and you know its sharp. two sticks later and you hit a stone wedged under the bark and you cut the rest of the pile with a dull saw. or thats the way it always works for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.