any effective non chemical wormers

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Animal Health any effective non chemical wormers

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Stable-Man
    Participant

Well, I don’t know about horses exactly, but diatomaceous earth is one of the options for sheep and cattle. Maybe it’ll work on horses too. I’ve also read about mixing powdered garlic with some other things and using a syringe to inject it into the animal’s mouth (again, for sheep). Garlic powder is much cheaper than fluid garlic or cloves.

sanhestar
    Participant

@Stable-Man 17504 wrote:

Garlic powder is much cheaper than fluid garlic or cloves.

yes, but it’s also more concentrated and can – at least in dogs – cause severe stomach irritations.

jac
    Participant

I suppose with all of these alternative options testing with dung samples is the only option.. but then we have to ask ourselves if we realy want to use one of our team mates as a benchmark while we conduct our testing.???
    John

clayfoot-sandyman
    Participant

Hi John, Just wanted to throw something in regarding your last post…..

I suppose with all of these alternative options testing with dung samples is the only option.. but then we have to ask ourselves if we realy want to use one of our team mates as a benchmark while we conduct our testing.???

I don’t think we’re using our livestock like lab rats or such like by trying to work away from the chemicals, there’s a lot of good info out there and people who have years and years of experience of alternative and more natural approaches to worming (and livestock health generally). Let’s face it, our ancestors have wormed animals for milennia otherwise these wonderful lineages of domesticated animals wouldn’t be with us now and the Ivomectins and such like have only been around for the last 5 minutes relative to man’s journey with the domesticated animal.
    But yes dung testing is certainly one indicator of wether things are working, although within organic systems one would be settled with a natural low intestinal population which the animal has resistance to rather than a scoured gut as in a chemically treated animal. The other aspect in the picture is clean grazing ofcourse although other horse owners have told me that’s very difficult with horses due to the amount of ground they require.:)

Ed

Maxwell
    Participant

@Stable-Man 17504 wrote:

Well, I don’t know about horses exactly, but diatomaceous earth is one of the options for sheep and cattle. Maybe it’ll work on horses too. I’ve also read about mixing powdered garlic with some other things and using a syringe to inject it into the animal’s mouth (again, for sheep). Garlic powder is much cheaper than fluid garlic or cloves.

A note about diatomaceous earth: This works well for external parasites such as lice but has no effect on internal parasites. The mechanical action of the DE does not work inside the body because of both the wet and acidic environment. I have included a description of DE and how it works….

“Natural diatomaceous earth (DE for short) is the remains of microscopic one-celled plants (phytoplankton) called diatoms that lived in the oceans that once covered the western part of the United States and other parts of the world. Huge deposits were left behind when the water receded. When crushed, they break up into tiny pieces of “glass” with razor sharp edges (so tiny that the material feels like talcum powder). This is easily picked up by the hairy bodies of most Insects. When DE comes contact with the insects, the sharp edges lacerate the bugs’ waxy exoskeleton and then the powdery DE absorbs the body fluids causing death from dehydration. Said more simply, DE kills insects by drying then up.”

blue80
    Participant

The lady we bought our brabants from uses a tincture found in “The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable” by Juliette de Bairacli-Levy.
    She prepares a mash of garlic, applesauce, carrots, sometimes a bit of alfalfa leaves which the horses eat. Her neighbour uses a liquid form applied in a syringe and gets it in the back of the horses mouth.

Kevin

Dylan Keating
    Participant

Hey folks, we are always on the lookout for an alternative wormer. One way I have heard about from a french farmer who taught me is a tincture of tansy and garlic – 75% garlic and 25% tansy. He had used this for 10 years and never had a problem..

Anonymous
    Inactive

It depends on what kind of worms you need to eliminate. Pin (thread) worms will be eliminated by garlic. I used to know someone who ran an animal rescue centre and he used to offer his horses a good handful of garlic pearls, which he said they took if they were wormy. You do need veterinary advice, though, should your herbal wormers not work.

Wamoo
    Participant

I don’t know about horses, but on the Organic dairy I work, a few days each month the farmer adds a little soap to the cows drinking water. I’m not sure what soap he uses, or exactly how much. I’ll have to ask him. Supposedly, it works by changing the surface tension of the water. One other thing he told me was, as an Organic dairy, there is just a certain level of worms he has had to learn to live with.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.