Anyone Around Stockbridge, MI Looking for Help?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Working Situations Anyone Around Stockbridge, MI Looking for Help?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TBigLug
    Participant

I am a 26 y/o intermediate teamster (read as ‘unemployed truck driver’) looking for a job within 30 miles of me. I’m mechanically inclined and good with my hands. I left my old driving job due to safety concerns and moved back to the farm to help my aging grandfather. I’d like to find some part time or full time work to pay my bills while I continue to help my grandparents. If anyone has any leads, please let me know. Thanks.

John

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

John,

Start a logging business with your horses. Go to our web site, read about how we do it, educate yourself about what you need to know and get out there and make a little logging with your horses – around taking care of the grandparents. You won’t get rich, but you can make some money anywhere there is decent forest.

It is easier in some places than other’s and not something for everyone, but it can be done. The animals are central to the sensitive and therefore superior nature of restorative forestry as we practice it.

I am sure there are folks in Michigan logging with horses for a living. They may be willing to let you know what they are doing, if you can find them. We will do anything we can to help you. There are many on this site will help you too. Those horses look big enough to bring out a nice log.

Let us know what you think. Glad you are on the site.

PS-
    I wish the site had a way of notifying folks when a new photo is posted. I put a new one of our team at the local pull in the favorite photos section.

TBigLug
    Participant

Jason,

Thanks for the tip. I poked around your site a little before I crashed out for the night. I have a friend who moved to TN and logged with his horses for a living. I’m going tot ry and gather as much information as I can. Might be an idea i can work on next Spring.

I love the pulls. My big gelding crossed with over 8,000 the first time we ever pulled with him. Check out the photo section soon, I’ll throw up a pic or two.

Thanks again.

John

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

John,

If you will share the name of the fellow in TN. we may have a referral to him sometime. We have an overwhelming demand for the services of sensitive
    restorative forestry throughout the country and often, actually most often don’t have anyone to refer them to.

Stay in touch man, let us know what you think…. Lots of folks up north log in the winter, it is actually the most environmentally sensitive time to be in the woods.

I would suggest taking some chainsaw safety courses through a system like “Game of Logging”, that is the first most important step for anyone seriously working in the forest harvesting timber. It is a great training program. You can learn these skills from someone that has been through the course, but the course and setting of being with other new chainsaw operators makes it easier to learn the skills and principles behind safe skilled chainsaw operation.

I was fortunate enough to be trained by Soren Erickson himself many years ago. He started the GOL program.

TBigLug
    Participant

I poked around on “GOL”‘s website. It looks like alot of fun. The closest training center to me is down in OH. I thought about doing some small logging here on our farm this winter but I’d like to get a little more time under my horses belts before I take them in the woods. Also, unfortunately, my current finances don’t allow for a set of shoes to keep them moving when it’s icy. Soon though. Although I’d never really considered horse powered logging as an option, I love being outside and I love working my horses. It may be a perfect fit. I’ll give my logging buddy a call this week and see if he’d be interested. I’m sure he would though. He’s moving back up here to Michigan next year, but I’m sure there’s a need here as much as there. Thanks for all the help. I look forward to picking your brain some more.

John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.