Anyone Built a Loose Hay Loader?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Fabrication Anyone Built a Loose Hay Loader?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lostranger
    Participant

I’m new to this forum, but not to draft animal power. We’re gearing up to use horses again on a small scale, and I’m starting from scratch (again) on acquiring equipment.

One of my favorite former tools was a McCormick Deering loose hay loader. I’ve been looking for more than two years around our corner of North Carolina, and I find no such animal for sale. It occurs to me that it’s a simple machine that would benefit from a few mod cons like good bearings and rubber tires.

Before I attempt to build one, though, I’d love to hear from someone who has done it. I’ve not found such an account on the web, but that doesn’t mean much. If you’ve built or thought about building one, let me know. If you know of a source for measured drawings for an existing loader, or if you have some idea to contribute to the project, let me know.

Ground drive PTO forecarts are a new thing since we last had drafters. I briefly considered setting up to bale, but then I realized that I’ve never enjoyed that process, and the balers I’ve owned and/or used were all minions of Satan. We plan to build a new barn in 2017, and I’ll set it up with a track in the hay mow. We’ll never sell hay, so handling it loose will suit our purpose, and a pull-behind loader makes a difference in getting it from the ground to the wagon.

Best to all,

Jim Huskins
    Marion, NC

Ron
    Participant

Hi Jim
    we build a new high capacity Hay loader two years ago but it was for the tractor with hydro-static aprons. Ours unloads to the side so the wagon drives along side the loader until the wagon is full and then the next wagon pulls in beside.
    It works quite well but we just get to busy in the summer to do the work with it we should and help is getting harder to find with my children all grown up. To build it we bought a used hay inverted for the pick up and build the elevator to take the hay up with. No reason it could not be build to ground drive and rear unloading.
    Easier then building your own is to go to the one of the Mennonite communities who still use horses. Many of them have a collection of hay loaders they are rebuilding for their own use and to sell.
    Cheers
    Ron

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

One could certainly be purchased in in Pa. BW MacNair could well direct you in how to find one. I even vaguely remember a manufacturer of a brand new one. I will have to look for that. I think my friend Ken Gies did build a small one for minis. I think it is mentioned in the recent SFJ.

Ron
    Participant

The other loose hay idea I always wanted to try with the horses is the hay sweep.
    There is a You tube video of a farm out west using hay sweeps and they have build
    a Jayhawk loader to build stakes.

Worth the fun to watch it.
    Ron

Lostranger
    Participant

Thanks for the responses. Ron, could you share photos or a blog about what you built? Donn, how do I get in touch with BW MacNair? Most of PA is within possible purchase range, but that’s about as far as I would be willing to transport.

I’m not interested in a buck rake approach, but thanks for the video. Our fields are tiny and undulating. I need to get hay onto a wagon, so it’s a loader or more hands with forks than we usually have available.

Jim

Michael Low
    Participant

I think the new made hay loaders are by Ez-trail and Hogback equipment.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Go to: macknair.com Norm is the kind of guy to ask him to find a good used one for you and he will.

Ron
    Participant

Hi all
    as I mentioned in the past I’m not very computer literite so I got a neighbor to come over on the excuse of a cup of tea and then roped them into taking the pictures and post them for me.Hopefully you’ll find attached pictures of our hay loader.
    The hay loader is in the shed which makes it a little harder to understand how it works it’s folded up in the transport position at this time. When it’s working in the field the tongue swings 90° to be drawn sideways the pickup then picks up the hay sends it up the elevator and into the wagon. It’s a pretty simple system really but it works very well. I hope to use it more this summer. If you have more questions on how it works I’ll be glad to try and answer them for you.
    In the background you should barely make out one of my horses.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.