Anyone used Banixx to treat hoof abscess?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses Anyone used Banixx to treat hoof abscess?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brad Johnson
    Participant

I am wondering if anyone has any experience treating an abscess with Banixx? I have a gelding with a shallow abscess. The vet opened it up and I am soaking it with epsom salts 3x a day, but was wondering if this anti-biotic/anti-fungal might be worth a try. I pulled the shoe to expose the pocket, but will put it back on one the infection is gone and tissue is starting to firm up.
    -Brad

Livewater Farm
    Participant

Brad try a flaxseed poltice it will draw the infection
    Bill

Hopewell Farm
    Participant

Brad,

I have not used Banixx, but have had good success with Ichthammol and soaking the foot once a day in epsom salts. It is helpful to use a baby diaper, vet wrap, and duct tape to keep the Ichthammol in place and the wound track clean. Sounds funny but, the diaper adds a bit of cushion and also fits the hoof size wise very well, which helps keep everything in place during the day while the horse is out walking around.

John

KMichelle
    Participant

I’ve also been on the hoof abscess wagon… I steeped plantain and coneflower leaves in epsom salts over night and then apply that in a 24 hour booty, that includes copious vet wrap and duct tape. Once the abscess burst I did one more 24 hours of salt and then a 48 hour booty with packed fresh calendula flowers(antibacterial) and then left in open air. I was able to draw it out and dry it off in a week.

But now she has one in the other foot, so I’m not sure if that’s a win/loss or draw… Sorry I can’t comment of Banixx specifically, but calendula works really well.

Will Stephens
    Participant

Ichthammol is what we have used with success also. We soak twice a day but is very convenient for our setup. We have come up with some pretty funny looking wraps that have worked (accept the Morgan, he insists on pulling any wrap off his feet!)

j.l.holt
    Participant

walk him with a inner tube. Epsom salts ok. good in a couple days. trim off all over hanging hoof or sole.

Brad Johnson
    Participant

After a week or so off from work, my gelding is all set with abscess. We opened up the abscess, releasing a bunch of puss and blood. He was putting weight back on it within 48 hours. Soaked each day, 2-3x a day with epsom salt and Banixx inside a large animal IV bag (they make great hoof soak bags). Infection is totally gone and tissue is hardening up nicely. I put his shoe back on to keep pressure off that spot, with shoe relieved with angle grinder. I think that will do it for now. Thanks to one and all for suggestions, as I am sure I will run into this again in the future!
    -Brad

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

“with shoe relieved with angle grinder”

Hi Brad, Can you elaborate?
    Thanks,
    Mark

LongViewFarm
    Participant

My father’s a veterinarian and the running joke is that he’ll be forced to retire if they ever stop making ichthamol or duct tape. I’m sure he used it on me as a kid, and we use it a lot around here as a drawing agent.

Carl Russell

I have never used Banixx, but usually after soaking will inject hydrogen peroxide, and or Iodine into the abscess area for anti microbial treatment. I also have used Ichthamol, diapers, vet wrap, and duct tape for dressing the wound. As far as I understand Ichthamol has no antibacterial properties, but acts like epsoms salts to soften the affected area and to draw out the infection so that it can drain. I would still use some type of antibacterial to treat the infection. Banixx would probably be just fine,

Carl

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Mark-
    At the recommendation of a farrier friend, just ground down the hoof side of the shoe where it lies over the soft spot where the abscess was, so that the shoe does not put any pressure on that sensitive tissue until it hardens again. This also allows me to get he Banixx into that spot with the shoe on, without having to use the soak bag. May not be the ideal solution, but so far so good…
    -Brad

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.