apprenticeships?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kirk Fischer
    Participant

Greetings!

I am a Toronto high school biology teacher currently taking a few years off to investigate sustainable living and organic agriculture. Last fall I spent three months at Whole Village Sustainable Farm (near Caledon, ON) working as the CSA garden apprentice with farmer Aerron Kirby. Although Aerron does not currently have draft horses, he used them when he worked on his father’s farm (Robin Kirby of Brantford, ON).

I am currently looking to further my sustainable farming/logging education by applying for an apprenticeship on a farm/mill that uses draft horses or oxen. Is such a position available at your farm? If not, do you know of any other horse-powered farms seeking an apprentice?

Thanks for your help,

Kirk Fischer

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Kirk:

We are looking for someone to start in March on our organic goat dairy. I have included a description of our farm and the apprenticeship position below. Although draft horses have become an integral part of our farming operation, I consider ourselves novices. Therefore the apprenticeship we offer is focused on the farm activities described below not on becoming a better teamster as we are not qualified to offer that type of instruction.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Farm Description

Does’ Leap is an innovative, diversified organic farm specializing in a variety of fresh and aged goat cheeses. We also raise organic beef, pork, and chicken. In an effort toward greater sustainability and self-reliance, much of our farm work – including plowing, harrowing, spreading manure, and firewood collection – is accomplished with two draft horses. The farm is located in northern Vermont in the heart of the beautiful green mountains with close proximity to Lake Champlain. Our goats and other livestock have the luxury of feeding on the wild vegetation of our region as they spend all but the winter months outside. We are one of the few goat dairies in the country that rely on a mixture of pasture and browse as the primary feed source for our goats and have conducted a 2 year, USDA-funded study on this farming practice. As a result or our reliance on browse and grass, our cheeses and meats are of exceptionally high quality and take on the flavor of our varied vegetation and Vermont’s changing seasons. We believe in a diversified farm ecosystem where each aspect of our farm complements the other.

Apprenticeship Description

Farm apprentices learn the art of making fresh and aged organic goat cheeses, general goat care (including homeopathy), using herding dogs, grazing management, product marketing, building trades (carpentry, plumbing, and electrical), and working with cows, pigs, and chickens. Apprentices work 4 days a week and our compensated with training, access to farm products (organic beef, pork, eggs, vegetables, and milk), and free housing in a wood cabin with ample living space, kitchen, and loft with plenty of natural light. Phone, electricity, and wood heat are included. Couples welcome. College credit possible. Reviews from past interns can be viewed at organicvolunteers.org. Click on Vermont and scroll down to Does’ Leap. Interested applicants should send a resume and three work-related recommendations to doesleap@verizon.net.

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Kirk,

Ken Laing in Ontario offers Draft Horse Workshops at his farm. He has a great deal of experience and is a well known horseman in the area. He works and keeps Suffolk Draft horses. He may be contacted through email at:

kmlaing@execulink.com

or

Ken Laing
    RR # 5, St. Thomas
    Ontario, Canada
    N5P359

519-775-2670

KevinFlys
    Participant

Can you simply tell if Runescape is a great game maplestory powerleveling or not without you becoming a member? The answer to that would be, NO! Well you can make a few predictions about Runescape and see the moral of the game when being a regular user and not a member but becoming a member brings a whole lot of additions to Runescape that you would never see if you were not a member. Being a member of Runescape has so many benefits and I will try to list them all here for you. Runescape tells you them, but I’m going to detail it a few features for you here. runescape money

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brother’s great, I top you and I are also top-Jin top。IJKTHKKOYOASAHI

pqrs460
    Participant

Tbcgold has huge quantity of wow gold and very cheap wow gold for sale!Cheap wow gold are sell at all servers!buy wow gold,also called world of warcraft gold or wow gold,is on sale at our online store.Cheap EQ2 PlatCity of Heroes InfluenceCheap COH InfluenceBuy COH InfluenceCOH Influence

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.