arch thoughts

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jac
    Participant

Untitled.jpg

I did this drawing of an arch.. I tried to show a lower point of draft while still being able to keep the pendulum effect to give lift and use the last inch or so of the rearward pull to give a downward pull to counter pole lift .. mabey.. any thoughts people ???

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Jac-
    A couple of thoughts on your drawing. First, I think that the logs need to be able to slide further under the beam of the arch so that the hitch point is perpendicular to the beam. In that case, the evener has to ride higher above the top of the load. Second, with the D-ring harness I use as you tighten up the rigging with the traces and the front backer straps the pole end tends to lift up. I am not sure I could get the necessary tension with that set-up. Finally, how would you use the ground to get the hitch end of the logs up and then take up the slack in the hitch chains? I think that set-up would give you little lift and lots of drag. I have wrestled with this same issue on my arch – the angle of draft is high and you loose mechanical advantage. But, with lots of lift you gain advantage as the load is further off the ground. I know folks have different thoughts on this issue. Carl Russell uses a Barden cart in the woods with allows less lift than my arch but keeps the angle of draft low, and your set-up reminds me of his cart. Carl, any thoughts here?
    -Brad

jac
    Participant

Thanks Brad… The drawing is meant to show the log in motion.. is it not just the pendulum motion that creates the lift on these arches ?.I just know Jason will be on this soon haha… I need to get over the pond and see these arches in action.. just I have always went for the lower hitch point and find the high hitch point alien to the way i hitch.. just me doodling around ideas.. John

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-d0mcdmmfY

Heres link to Jim Wood’s arch.Its woth the time to watch just for the music . He calls it a skidder . I can see some things about this arch that I personaly would’t like but it has stood the test of time. Jim is a full time logger who has logged with this arch longer than I’v worked in the woods.
    It has some key advantages
    – lower draft, almost no pole wieght
    – being able to lift the load
    -operator can drop half the load on steep hills drive to the top and winch the log back in

The main disadvantages are its high and I’m sure tippy.

jac
    Participant

Its a great video this .. im sure there is something at the end of the pole next the teamster.. dont know if its some kind of chain.. at least with this one the horses dont have to actualy lift the log with forward motion and can concentrate on pure pulling…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.