Are peeling, chipped steer horns a cause for concern?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Animal Health Are peeling, chipped steer horns a cause for concern?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Here is yet another question for the experienced teamsters:

My 11-month-old steers have flaky, peeling horns — both horns on each steer. This is happening in the middle section of the horn — not in the fresh, new growth area near their skulls, and not near the tips. Sections of layers of horn material have flaked away, leaving an uneven surface.

Here in New Hampshire, we’re in the middle of a long spell of heavy rain, and that peel-y material seems like it’s absorbing moisture, and becoming even more prone to peel. (The boys are outside all the time.)

My questions: Will they outgrow this? Or is it some kind of fungus/dietary problem? If a problem, how do I treat it?

Many thanks!
    Victoria

Oxen Acres Farm
    Participant

My holstein steers always had flakey horns. I had teamsters tell me it is just because the horns are growing and it never seemed to bother them, also my animals were outside all the time, as I live in New Hampshire as well. What type of steers do you have? I just got a new pair of shorthorn calfs to start with all over again. Well best of luck.

becorson
    Participant

An old teamster from North Carolina told me to use medium sand paper and lightly sand the horns to get right of flakes. i tried it and it seemed to work.

bivol
    Participant

i’ve once seen people in south america cover the horns of their oxen with plastic bags during rain. maybe it’d decrease the moisture.

dominiquer60

I just came from the NEAPFD, I heard a very knowledgeable teamster state that flaking horns are caused by too much protein. Maybe a change in diet would improve this condition.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.