Are you pro-fun or anti-fun?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Off Topic Discussion Are you pro-fun or anti-fun?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    goodcompanion
    Participant

When I moved onto this farm it had a trail running through it that is part of a statewide snowmobile network. Said network has a spokesperson who’s supposed to go around and get each landowner’s permission. Since my predecessor had always given them the green light, initially I did the same.

The spokesperson, a real hard-living type who’s probably a dozen years younger than he looks, mentioned that it’s getting harder for them to maintain the network due to folks withdrawing permission.

“Don’t know why,” he said. “I guess some people are just anti-fun or something.” At the time I resisted suggesting that there might perhaps be deleterious effects of certain forms of fun, for instance those consumed nasally.

Deal is, they are supposed to stick to the trail and mind their manners. Most do, but there are always a few that don’t really consider themselves to be sledding unless they are at full throttle, maintaining blood-alcohol levels in the double digits, and yelling “woo-hoo!”, typically at 3 am.

Which I would have been able to tolerate, for a while at least, if my neighbors–and I have a lot of them, as lots have sprung up all around what remains of my farm–had felt strongly about maintaining the trail. But, calling around to see what they thought, it became clear that the sledders had worn out their welcome (some had tales of property damage, piles of beer cans, etc.). So that gave me the reason I needed to withdraw my permission.

So I guess this means that I am actually anti-fun.

I’m still trying to figure out if my new stance extends to fun in all its forms or just those pertaining to outdoor recreation. I’m wondering, too, if there is some group I could join to be in the company of others who are as against fun as I am. Maybe this is it? Does DAP.com have an official stance on fun yet, and if not, can we declare ourselves opposed to it?

I’m afraid that a pro-fun position might necessitate my resignation.

CRTreeDude
    Participant

We may well be considered anti-fun, though I suspect because we enjoy life. Often the idea of fun means thrill-seeking. Thanks, but no thanks. I get enough thrills just living my life… If you don’t have a boring life, you don’t need to seek thrills.

So much to experience, so much to do, so little time. We purchased a new property (140 acres) and, besides the initial walk the farm, I have yet to really explore it – in reality, it would take a month to do it (we are talking part jungle, etc.). In total, we have more than 500 acres, I still haven’t visited all the parts. We live on one section that is 70 acres, I haven’t visited all of it yet either!

We just started a woodshop with 6 employees – it is running great. We have lots of great tools, including a very nice lathe. I have always wanted to play with a lathe, now I can. If I ever find the time… So far, I have used the lathe for 30 minutes (but others are using it all the time)

For every farm we buy, I have to visit 5 to 10, on horse usually. Then, I need to visit each farm periodically – just to make sure all is going according to plan.

Am I having fun – oh yeah! But, I don’t have to do something as boring as having a hobbie to amuse myself. 😀

Dubba
    Participant

Unfortunately You are right. It is no fun to listen to unappreciative people who do not follow any sort of common decency in regards to other people’s property.

We have the same type of snowmobile riders down here as well. One property owner wanted no traffic from 9pm to 9am, reasonable enough in my book. We put up the sleds before 7pm anyways. It gets dark in them there woods! Signs were posted, maps were annotated, people were warned. Gates went up this fall. Another good trail lost to the few citizens who cared. The rest will go somewhere else & get some more trails closed.

Carl Russell

Anti-fun?? Sound like this could be a politically incorrect answer either way. Whenever someone tried to put words in my mouth, I usually throw-up:eek:!! Carl

James
    Participant

I think the Real meaning here is Good Clean Fun, the kind where no one gets hurt ,The land owner is respected, And I can say that is part of having fun, By being A decent human and respecting the person who is letting ,Everybody else use part of their land. I may be wrong but I think thats part of whats wrong in this country today. Everybody wants it here & now, Reguardless of who they trample on! (I was told a while back by a Minister I should be a Motivational speaker) If youi want the story behind that you need to ask!

Patrick
    Participant

I’m all for fun here………mine. For everyone else, I’m anti fun too.

Similar story here as well. Previous owners allowed snowmobilers, enjoyed the trails that they kept clear. The son was even a snowmobiler himself, understood the value of keeping good relations to landowners, and was a responsible user. Unfortunately, too many of his fellow snowmobilers were not, and the family eventually prohibited access to all outsiders. When I bought the place, their spokesman approached me, a seemingly responsible guy himself. I told him the stories related to me by the previous owners, and explained that I was still finding trash and beer cans littered along the old trails. I wished him well in riding his machine, somewhere else.

Carl Russell

I just started a logging job today. I had to get some trails broken out through this snow before it gets rained on and crusty. Turns out the main skid trail doubles as a VAST trail. I’m sure I’ll find out soon whether or not I’m Anti-Fun. Matter of fact four sleds went by today. They didn’t even know I was there until they were almost past me. Then you want to hear them shout, “that guy’s logging with horses”! Like the woods were put there just for sledding!!! Carl

CRTreeDude
    Participant

Not to get too philosophical too early in the morning, but…

Isn’t this issue the same as we are experiencing all over? Nothing wrong with having fun, as long as that fun is not destructive. Leave it as good if not better than you found it and no one complains. Leave it trashed, and you lose the privelege.

We could say the same about the earth – when you enter a forest and harvest its fruits, don’t ruin it for the other users. The other users are those who use its water, its product of air and of course, the animals who live within it.

In that past we have been acting like there is an unlimited amount of land to despoil.

As those who ride trails are discovering, as trails close because of abuse, it limits the number of trails – and soon there will be no place to ride except on your own private land. Just because people wanted to take with no thought to the future.

Also, when there are just a few people passing on the trail, the damage is soon healed by nature – but when it starts resembling an expressway, there is no way that nature can keep up. Each trip a little more damage occurs, and soon it looks so bad that the land owners shut it down.

Much of the problems we are currently having is due to people who feel that they are just taking a little or damaging things a little – not realizing when everyone does the same, the whole thing is destroyed.

You might say, as a race, it is time we grew up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.