Arrangutangs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Plowboy
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone else has heard the term Arrangutang used by old teamsters in their respective areas. I guess by definition an Arrangutang is a primate but when excited jumps around flailing limbs wildly. Usually this term is used to describe renegade colts around here. One old timer says “let me see if I can get these two Arrangutangs back in the woods and fetch out a log”. I guess by description I have seen some over the years that acted just like Arrangutangs. I hadn’t heard the term for a few years and my uncle noticed the breaking sled was loaded with a round bale and their were sled tracks all over the farm. A mare we bought a few years ago was a little crazy for a while. When I saw my uncle he said ” What are you guys doing driving an Arrangutang”. I laughed out loud and said ” I guess we are”. I hadn’t thought about it until he mentioned it but I guess when we first started her she resembled an Arrangutang!

Carl Russell

Plowboy, They’re called renegades around here.

You make me think of another good thread, about “Old Timers”, or mentors. How have people found mentors? What about “new school” vs. “old school”?
    When I don’t have to plow any more snow I’ll start that one, or anyone else can feel free. Carl

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I think an arangutang settles down sooner than a renagade but that may depend on what movies you watch. Boy these computers sure are squirelly, I hit the click to donate button by accident, and had to have my wife get me out of it with out paying anything. Close call! Carl, I think the mentor thread sounds good. I am studying for a test tomorrow on High angle rescue training, but I will add to it soon. Donn

Plowboy
    Participant

Training roughstock can be fun and challenging provided you have the gumption, strength, know how and some experience. I would not recommend it for beginners but we’ve had some fun over the years and it’s always a good feeling when that Arrangutang turns into a good solid work horse. We got a taste of it early on with the old timers around here. This area has a pretty solid draft horse community. Usually we raise our stock but get involved a lot in training friends colts. It sure breaks up the monotony of winter when you drive 6 or 7 colts on a Sunday afternoon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.