auctions and the right team

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses auctions and the right team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kristin
    Participant

We lost a horse this winter and his partner is near retirement, so we’re in the market for a team right now. The perfect team for us would be a healthy pair of seven-year-olds, weighing 1500 pounds, and well-broke to all kinds of farm machinery. They would be sound and hard-hoofed, and composed for pulling, not riding or show hitches, with short legs, round barrels, closely coupled backs and big haunches. Their temperaments would be unflappable, and they would be slow-paced but not slow-witted, with the heart for long days of hard work. They would be soft-mouthed, hardy, easy keepers, have no vices, and at least one of them would be a mare. And while we’re at it, let’s give them wings and a knowledge of advanced calculus, because my wish list seems about that impossible already.

The question is, where should we be looking? We’re in New York but would travel, within reason. What region, and which auctions would be most likely to have horses that come close to this description?

-Kristin

Plowboy
    Participant

The Springfield Amish community is having a big sale in April in Jordanville. They have had good teams there the last two sales were held at Fonda fairgrounds but is being moved back to Sams farm. I go to a lot of sales but have never bought a horse. I’ve seen some good one’s but always bought private or raised our own stock. Mt Hope Ohio has a big sale in march and usually has good teams. A good friend of ours goes to Lansing, Waverly , Mt Hope, Harrisburg and he told me last week that top of the line good young broke horses were still only bringing $2,000 each at most. Alot of good using horses go for under $1,000 but the real good stuff brings more. A team of middle aged grays were sold in Vernon last month for $300 each. Good luck and if you buy at a sale look them over real good.

Jean
    Participant

The Green Mountain Draft Horse Assoc will have their annual draft horse auction on May 3rd this year. It is at the Addison County Fair Grounds in Addison. It is pretty close to the NY border. They usually have some good teams, that sell for reasonable prices.

You can email me your name and address and I will be sure to get you an auction catalog.

Jean

Kristin
    Participant

Thanks, Plowboy and Jean. If anyone from our area (NY) is going out to Mt. Hope in March with a trailer and might be interested in hauling a team back, would you let me know? Jean, we are already on the list for the GMDHA auction but thanks for your offer. We’ve been lucky on equipment at that one.
    best,
    Kristin

Plowboy
    Participant

My friend Butch is in the Fort Plain area and usually goes with a 24ft stock trailer. I’m not sure how far you are from that area but it would put them in Central NY.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.