back to the future

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jac
    Participant

Seems pretty serious. The SFJ carried an article on the “Grown in Detroit” movement. My only hope is that its not the big boys muscling in on the act and end up spoiling it as usual.. Im a major cynic whenever I see good stuff being taken over by the big guns. Time will tell
    John

Stable-Man
    Participant

I read an article about a couple of people in NYC farming on the rooftop of a building. Engineer has to check for structural capability, but this kind of stuff is quite viable, I think. Those people sold mainly to restaurants, which I don’t think is the best route, but it’s a start. This link is even better b/c the dirt’s already there. For an even more weird future type thing check out sky farms. They’re only drawings now, but the idea’s the same: have food close to where the people are. Personally I think ground or rooftop is better since the investment is lower and surface crops would break up the man-made glass and concrete cities.

dominiquer60

Just a note to anyone interested in urban farming, it is important to have a thorough soil test, especially for heavy metals and pollutants. Friends of mine “farmed” the lot next to them in Troy, NY and their youngest has lead poisoning. I imagine there is more risk of such problems here in the northeast with our highly industrial past in urban areas. My friends switched to containers and raised beds with imported soil. Such a shame, all these empty lots and the soil is too contaminated to use.

Erika

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

http://www.maes.msu.edu/news.htm#swinton

Here is a link to a little more information on the Detroit urban farming movement.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.