Barley Planting

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules Barley Planting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    J-L
    Participant

I finally got the pictures of us planting barley onto the computer. We just planted 15 acres but it was a fun time. Thanks to Donn Hewes and Ronnie Tucker for the encouragement and patience with trying to expain 4 abreast to me.
    Also thanks to Lingodog 13 for coming over and helping. We’re gonna mow some hay this fall yet too. Maybe we can get some more pictures of that. She’s the one who took the pictures and got them to me.
    By the time we got the ground ready to plant (after picking 14 dumptruck loads of rock!) it had got fairly dry. Not too long after these pic’s we got nearly 6″ or rain in a month. Some of the barley got stunted by some accidental irrigation with a big flush of water. Too much water doesn’t happen up here very often. Oh well, we did get some pretty nice barley hay off this patch.
    I hope this works.

J-L
    Participant

First picture didn’t attach, don’t know what went wrong.

J-L
    Participant

Heres another one from head on.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

JL, They look awesome. Straight a head and heads up! Nice. Donn

J-L
    Participant

Thanks Donn, I was pleased with how they handled things. It was the first time hooked to anything other than a meadow drag with the 4 abreast. They handled the rattling and squealing pretty well.
    4 head on that little drill wasn’t really too hard on them. I would reckon 3 would do it fine. I think we could plant all 15 acres in one good day with these four. They were legged up good from feeding cows all winter.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.