Been away for awhile…

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Off Topic Discussion Been away for awhile…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bivol
    Participant

Hi people!

I’ve been away for some time to say the least, and i have undoubtedly made some of my friends worry. i am sorry for that!
    I’m good and well, everything is going fine.

Ihe reason I stopped coming to this forum at one time (inertia did the rest as i am a creature of habit) is probably that i got fed up with theory; that this is a hands-on forum and people talk about what they are doing, that’s the center.
    i on the other hand, am here purely for my interests and do not have any possibility to move to practical level.
    at one time it was just theory overload, i guess it’s about as far as you can go on theory… that’s why i stopped making it my active interest. at first it was a couple of weeks, then months, then, well… years. trail kinda got vcold little by little, and by the time i noticed, it was already dead-cold… other things are big shifts in personal life that sometimes kept me busy and growing, but with fewer and more irregular contacts…
    i just want to say i’m alive and well (more than well, in fact!)!

as it turns out, though, the knowledge i got on this forum will have its practical application as it will be the base for Bachelor Thesis (Draft animals) i’ll be doing this last semester! (i’d trade that thesis for a week with a good pair of oxen though, but one thing at the time)

the reason why i stopped frequenting this forum is one thing, but i want to apologize to all that worried for just disappearing in smoke!

the interest in draft animals is still semi dormant (it awakens around livestock though), but that’s ok, since i need to do other things in this stretch of life.

so, i’ll be coming around here again, but not as often…

dominiquer60

Welcome back Bivol,

I had faith that you were still with us and I am glad to hear that you only took a break. It happens, but we are glad that you thought of us and are doing a draft thesis, more draft studies should be done in schools. Come back when you can, but be aware that we are changing to a new website on Monday and that you will have to log in with a new password. The new site will incorporate all that our Draft Animal Power Network does including this forum.

Be Well and don’t give up the dream of being a teamster someday,

Erika

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Welcome back, Bivol. I have been wondering about you lately.

Kevin Cunningham
    Participant

Bivol, just so you know I have really appreciated reading the older posts in the oxen section that you were a part of. Often times we don’t realize how many people out there are reading and not posting, so it is impossible to grasp what kind of positive effect our voice is having. Welcome back and I can’t wait to hear your opinion on draft and oxen power.

Andy Carson

That’s true. I would encourage you to post your thesis on this site, it might be a very interesting read and stimulate conversation. I especially appreciate observations and reports from other countries or areas of the world. These reports provide alternative techniques and technology that are truly field tested, and might be applicable to current problems.

Carl Russell

Nice to see your thoughtful posts once again Marko.

I like Andy’s point. We may all benefit from sharing your thesis.

Good luck, and please keep connected as it seems appropriate.

Carl

welcome back; had been afraid you dropped off the plate …

bivol
    Participant

Hi People!

i was really moved by you all, thank you! thank you for wishing me welcome!

recent days i’ve had “problems” (while transiting to the new page) so i couldn’t know how to reply until now  (sorry about that).

i’ve liked the old forum, but the new one promises to be awesome!but as the forum is not yet fully operational, i cant see names of some of you, so i will do my best to answer like it is.

Erika, i still intend to become a teamster when i retire X) oxen, of course! but first i gotta do what i gotta do!

Andy,  will see to translate it to English during summertime, but it may not be very interesting, as it deals with problems of draft animal potentials in Croatia. on the other hand, it may be VERY interesting!

It’s name is “Draft animals – history, problems, perspective.

In it i intend to focus on giving a quick overview on main draft animals in Croatia, horse, ox, cow, and maybe donkey and mule, their history, overview of how to work them, their possible uses and problems associated with their use (like social stigma, association with poverty, old bad technology – the interesting bits!), and showing modern draft animal implements and their perspective.

in Croatia there was never a single academic work mentioning the hands-on aspect of working draft animals i know of: “it was known”, that belonged to oral rural lore, but with mechanization  that knowledge got lost.

this is that i want to write my thesis about. i will defend it by saying that draft animals still have their niche market and place by showing development in in developed countries, and so there is no reason not to use them accordingly. Croatia being at least 20 years behind developed Europe, i can see this thesis doing some good in the future…

it’s limited to about 20 pages, so it will only encompass the roughest of basics on draft animals, the like of any of us having in their little finger…

To be honest Elke, i was feeling somewhat detached at one point, but now i’m glad i came back, if something is your passion and love since teens, it’s there to stay!

as am I on this forum!

having said that, i will have less time o my hands (tell you about it a bit later) but i’ll stick around. if you need me and I’m not there at the moment, please send me a message via E-mail!

But I WILL stay detached, it’s “on the right place” feeling!

Marko

dominiquer60

“i will defend it by saying that draft animals still have their niche market and place by showing development in in developed countries, and so there is no reason not to use them accordingly.”

Don’t forget that using draft animals is important as as a environmentally friendly energy source, they can survive on pastures not fit for tillage and reproduce themselves. I just wanted to point out their other beneficial features 🙂

Good Luck with it, I think that I would find an English copy to be an interesting read and look forward to reading it someday.

Carl Russell

Hey Marko, since we don’t have private messaging on this iteration of the forum, I would like you to contact me by e-mail at earthwise(at)hughes.net….. I have some family traveling to Croatia, and thought it might be nice to connect you all if time and place connect.

Thanks, Carl

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.