Beginner looks for help

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses Beginner looks for help

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Rick Alger
    Participant

Some good advice above. At the risk of insulting your intelligence, I suggest you get a very basic horsemanship book, maybe one from the 4-H people. That will explain “ground work” in detail. Follow the steps. Start as if the horse is green. You and the horse will learn together – how to stand, lead, give a hoof, load in a trailer, overcome scary noises, etc. Then you’ll be ready to follow Jason’s directions for pulling a sled. (You can make a sled if you have to.)

If the horse is still rank, you can abandon the project with a good conscience, but my guess is you will succeed if you take it slow and in easy steps.

ngcmcn
    Participant

burbfarm, in your neck of the woods maybe look for a carriage company for some one knowledgeable about putting equipment, or anything…logs behind a horse. You could also stand to learn a lot from saddle horse round pen clinics. The horse will do fine, getting you trained is the trick.

neal mcnaughten
    unity, me.

Jean
    Participant

http://www.coachmansdelight.com/main.htm

I saw Andy at the Driving Forum in West Springfield, MA last weekend. He started driving with drafts, now focuses on lighter breeds, but does do training. He is pretty close to you, it might be worth contacting him.

Jean

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.