Book Review: Sheep Success

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    dlskidmore
    Participant

Sheep Success The Low Cost Costwold Way (A Better Ewe & Big Bucks, Too) by Nathan Griffith is a good part Costwold salesmanship, but it also has a lot of good information about keeping sheep in general, and much of what it says about Cotswolds in particular could apply to any of the English Long Wools.

The beginning has a lot of historical information about Cotswolds and is an interesting read. Who needs soap operas when you’ve got history?

The book recommends a low-input system suitable to sustainable farming. He recommends that shelters be made from scraps and recycled lumber or pallets, and he has favorable experience with portable electric fence. (Although my direct mentors have not.)

The feeder design I didn’t care too much for, I can’t feed hay and concentrates at the same time, and the lack of detail in the design led to some critical mistakes in my assembly, but the dimensions for heights and head gap widths are perfect for the breed and I’ll be transferring those to a different design on my next feeder build.

Overall the book is at a beginner level, suitable for a beginning shepherd, and a good overview of sheep keeping and the Cotswold breed.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.