Books

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Patrick
    Participant

Probably old hat to most here, but attempting to get some interesting posts going, and following a suggestion from another thread, here’s my favorite:
    Drew Conroy’s Oxen, A Teamster’s Guide.

It’s presented in a very readable style, easy to understand, yet thorough enough to not bore those looking for detailed, usable information. His willingness to explore topics outside of currently popular practices, while still covering the traditional basics, appeals to a wide audience.

Of hundreds of ag related books which I’ve read, it ranks up there in the top dozen for the value of the information presented, allowing the greenest novice to succeed and even prosper by following it’s advice, while at the same time providing some interesting reading for the seasoned teamster, IMO.

Does anyone wish to review books for other species, under the appropriate forums, either those that will help, or those to avoid?

Carl Russell

Rather than hiding book info/reviews in threads or forums related to the topic of the book, let’s start a books/resources forum in Etcetera Category. Carl

Vicki
    Participant

Ray Ludwig’s Pride and Joy of Working Cattle is another very helpful booklet for the novice. He gives very explicit directions for disciplining yourself and your steers, and for a logical training progression.

Ray and his wife, Jean, are delightful people and Ray is one of the finest oxmen and farmers anywhere.

Les Barden wrote a booklet Training the Teamsterwhich I wish I had found earier in my first ox training. I believe the New England 4H clubs use this booklet.

TinaY
    Participant

Can you tell me where I could find the books mentioned??

Patrick
    Participant

Amazon. Rural Heritage. Do a web search.

Carl Russell

Berry Brook Ox Supply in Farmington NH. http://www.berrybrookoxsupply.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.