brad cameron dvd’s

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules brad cameron dvd’s

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    josboy
    Participant

i see this guy advertising in western mule……..are his dvd’s worth getting ?
    i’m new to long ears but not horseflesh….got a couple in the yard [6yr old molly and 10 yr horsemule]…greenbroke and scared of humans. i would like to do something with them….located central arizona.
    appreciate any comments

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

You said you were new to long ears but not to horse flesh. Have you been driving and working horses in harness or other? We all have our own definitions of what is broke and what is green broke, etc. For me a mule that is scared of humans is not broke at all. That relationship is the basis for all training. Good luck and go slow. No help on the video, unfortunately. Donn

J-L
    Participant

I’ve not heard of him. I can tell you I’ve had to deal with mules like you’re describing though. If a mule is afraid of you you’re going to have to get him over that first.
    I’d heard that you couldn’t do much with an aged mule but have found that not to be true. I took an 8 yr old maremule who was only broke to lead and had her pulling a feed wagon (she’s hooked to it now) in not too much time. She was tame though, and kind of a people lover.
    I had another mule that was really wild and it took some time, but she did come around and made a decent pack mule and we rode her some. She was a chore though and I spent LOTS of time sacking her out and getting her to trust me. Once she figured out I wasn’t going to eat her, she was pretty much okay with anything I did with her.
    Take the time to get them gentled down, and you can’t possibly sack one out too much.
    There is a really fine line between gaining trust, being a pushy pet, and discipline with a horse and I think even moreso with a mule.
    If you’ve got lot’s of horse experience you can learn to speak mule too. Like Donn said, take your time.

manesntails
    Participant

Brad Cameron comes highly recommended. He uses kind methods and gets very good reviews by mule people.

He also does clinics.

I agree your mules can’t be greenbroke if they’re afraid of humans. That’s more like “unbroke” If I were you I’d get those videos and get yourself an experienced muleman (or woman) to help you with your training. Mules are different enough from horses that some tactics you might use on a horse will get you nowhere fast with a mule. Some other tactics could get you kicked or even stomped. Mules have a high degree of self preservation and if hurt may retalliate.

Best to learn all you can about a mule’s way of thinking before fooling with them. Mules learn bad habits as quick as good habits and when a person is not aware of how the mule thinks he can spoil the mule. Spoiled mules are much harder to retrain so you want to do it right the first time with a mule.

josboy
    Participant

well,i bought these mules after seeing them being ridden around the sales ring…they appeared to have a half decent handle…i know..you take yer chances. i just thought an old mule handler [as in dvd’s] would help me get into a mules mind. i learned real fast,there’s a huge difference between the horse and mule mind. maybe some of the hearsay aint true…that a mule will remember your mistreatment and nail you when they get as chance…all this kicking stuff i hear has my attention. I DONT MISTREAT ANIMALS, but sometimes with a rank horse,you can lay him down and truss him up for awhile and it works wonders….now if a mule gonna remember that…its not the way to go,but is this manouver maybe a training way with a mule or a no no ?….i’ll come clean,the molly bucked me off first ride and she was strong…would have fit into rodeo stock contractors remuda real good.
    plus i’m 70 yrs old and dont want to give the medical establishment any cash. 😀

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

The clip I saw was just a bit of one of Brad’s dvd’s… he was riding a mule, told it to lay down & it did… with him still on it. Got back up when told to – he seemed to treat it like a dog – spoke to it & expected it to understand… and it did. Probably spent years getting that mule that way, but if that level of connectedness is possible using his techniques… I plan on getting the dvd. Manesandtails’ words are right on – they brought to mind what this old timer said to me on mules & donkeys: “Don’t break your mule – it’s REALLY hard to put the pieces back together”.

manesntails
    Participant

Not being able to see your mules I’d say it sounds like, from your saying you went rodeo with her the first ride….the guy may have Aced those mules to get them sold for a higher price.

No, no you would not want to lay down a mule like that. It’s not necessary and if you did it you would most likely ruin your mule. That would cause your mule to resent you. Mules take patience and never force. Time and patience, time and patience. A mule has to trust you to work for you. Forcing them to submit to you when they do not know what you are asking would not be the right way to go.

josboy
    Participant

thanks for that info….it helps. one more ? ……..maybe i should start a new thread. wanted to know about myler bits….a good buy ? kinda spendy at $130. i see they are rigged where the curb chain sits high…right up under the cheek….i’ll see what responses i get here …dont get miffed if you see this question someplace else.

Tom S
    Participant

Where are you in AZ. I am in Sierra Vista.

josboy
    Participant

camp verde

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Brad Cameron is usually the highest rated mule trainer who makes books/dvd’s. I met his assistant who was riding a standard donkey and it did all she asked of it. It’s another natural horsemanship technique. I think it’s like anything else. Look at all and use what works for you and your mule.

I too would work on a relationship with my mule. I have one that is hard to catch at times, but she is not afraid of people, just avoiding work. But, once haltered, she knows her job. She is broke!

I don’t have Mylar bit, but from discussion on mule forums, they’ve gotten good reviews. Again, try some things and use what works. But, do not be heavy handed, especially with a mylar bit!

Dave

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.