Breaking/Traing a pony to drive

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Training Working Animals Breaking/Traing a pony to drive

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bsmit24
    Participant

While I would ultimately like a pair of oxen I am considering training the pony we have to drive. She is approximately 9 years old and broke to ride but would like to add a driving to the mix. She is only 13.3 hands and 800 lbs so no real work but a little exercise between when the kids rider her would probably do her some good. Can anyone recommend a good book, DVD, or youtube video that would get me started?

bsmit24
    Participant

I should also add that while I have owned horses in the past I have never broke or drove so this is as much for me as the pony.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I will recommend a book and some videos, but first i have to say, the best, safest, way to get started is to find someone to work with. I know it can be hard to find folks that are doing what you want to do, and willing to take the time to share what they know; but it is my belief that difficulty doesn’t change the basic nature of the craft you wish to practice. It is a multi faceted endeavor that lends it self to learning in stages and gradually putting the pieces together.

The book I would recommend is Lynn Miller’s Training horses / Training teamsters (check out smallfarmersjournal.com) and the videos I would recommend are from Doc Hammill. dochammill.com

Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have questions or we can help in any way, Good luck. Donn

bsmit24
    Participant

Thank you for the recommendations and I agree about having a mentor. I found that out starting my beehives this year, after reading several books just an afternoon working hives with an experience beekeeper made a world of difference. I will keep looking but will try and educate myself in the mean time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.