Bred Heifers in Last Trimester

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Oxen Bred Heifers in Last Trimester

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

We are picking up some bred dairy heifers for milking this summer and I was going to try and train them to work a little. I was wondering if anyone had any experience working bred heifers in their last trimester? I dont expect a lot out of them but what should I expect? Or should I work them under load at all?

Thanks
    Jared

dominiquer60

Get them used to you, easy to handle (grooming, maybe handle feet), train them to the commands, then worry about a load. They could certainly handle a tire large enough to keep the traces/chain tight. A small drag, small firewood, etc are not too much to ask, as long as they have a good foundation first.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Cool Thanks, thats kind of what I figured. In an ideal world they would be in good enough shape and conditioned to be able to keep up moderate milk production and pull the no4 big to clip pastures in late june (sounds kinda dreamy though). I have to decide on the heifers I want then I can actually plan further.

Jared

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.