breeding a haflinger to get a mule

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules breeding a haflinger to get a mule

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth F
    Participant

My mare is 14h what size jack do I need to get a mule her size I’ve got one that is 44-46″ and know of a couple mammoth jacks in the area I want a mule that stands around 14h what size jack do I need

Thanks
    Kenneth

CIW
    Participant

We look for jacks that are open bred and carry the tendency to have low propetancy. That in combination with a mare that is line bred will promote more of the mares size.
    My jack is 15 hands. Breed him to a 17h mare and the mule finishes out close to the mares size. Breed him to a 14 2h mare and the mule matures around that mares size. That being said. He still has some characteristics that are dominant no matter what mare he is crossed with.
    I know of a jack in T-ville, Kentucky that stands 13 3hh. You breed him to the mare of your choice. That john mule will finish out at 16hh. And the mollies are just a bit taller.
    Just because a jack is a certain size doesn’t mean that he will throw the like.
    See if you can look at some mature mules out of mares of similar size that you want your mules to finish out at. Then look at that Jack to see if he is the caliber animal you want to breed to.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I have a Jack and he is just starting to breed my mares. He is three years old and about 15.1 hands. I am really a beginner in breeding. What do you mean by “open breeding”? Breeding on pasture, with out our help? Propentency?
    Is that prepotency? I am not sure what that is, but will look it up. Thanks, Donn

Kenneth F
    Participant

Thanks for the reply one of the jacks has just bred his first mares a few weeks ago the other has made some nice mules I’ll see what I can find out on him

Kenneth

CIW
    Participant

Animals are line bred to pass on their characteristics because they have been crossed for certain reasons. i.e. big hips, color, head shape, gait, height, demeanor. You name it. All depends on the breed. That’s a common thing to have been done with horse flesh. So it’s easy to find them. Phenotypical traits are commonly things that you can see. In cattle, for example, you may want to breed for something like heat endurance, mothering ability or disease resistance. Things you can’t see just by looking at the animal. Those are genotypic characteristics.
    Open breeding is just the opposite of line breeding. Very few copied animals, if any, in several pedigree generations.
    Jackstock in the United States started out as composite of 5 different donkey breeds. In the recent past, people like George Hineman, Frank Mills, and L.W. Knight bred jacks for show and to produce consistant jack stock, so they line bred. The animals that didn’t make the grade were used to breed for mules. And they were bred to whatever mare that came down the road. It was more of a crap shoot. For examples read a book by Harvey Riley called “The Mule”. Their market was primarily the government. They had need for all kinds of mules, by the carload. So as long as they were structurally sound they would sell.
    Today we are breeding to make designer mules except that way keep dead ending with the sterile offspring we call the mule.
    We know what our mare stock is bred for, but if we breed to a line bred jack we loose consistency because the two animals are fighting genetically. Each time you breed those same 2 animals to get a mule, it’s likely you’ll end up with something different because of the law of percentages.
    To better your chances, when breeding for mules, breed to what you know.
    A quality mule jack is harder to come across than a quality donkey jack. Just because of population numbers. So why not go with something that someone has already proven (line bred mares).

The jack carries Seiman’s Glen, Jen Jack, Starlight Paragon, and Kansas Chief breeding. (Open bred)
    The mare is almost exclusively Skipper W breeding through his son Spanish Array. (Line bred)
    We get the same kind of mule every time we cross them.
    That mare had 7 mules crossed to that jack that look and act very similar.

I hope this helps clear up what you were wondering about.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Prepotency is when an animal carries an unusually large number of dominant genes that affect phenotype. This means that its offspring look very similar, the other parent not having much obvious (external) influence.

Kenneth F
    Participant

Thanks for the input I think for the most part I understand but am more reluctant to breed to a jack now LOL. I may have found a haflinger stud in the area and may go that route

Kenneth

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.