Breeding crosses?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses Breeding crosses?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I really like some of the draft crosses that I see around and I was wondering about breeding. Is it similar to other livestock where you would have the brood mare be the larger draft or could you breed a lighter breed, say a morgan mare to a draft stud? It would be nice to be able to have a nice cart horse mare that you could AI and get some decent work animals out of her.

Jared

carl ny
    Participant

You can do it either way.My DIL bred her quarter horse mare to a belgian stud.The outcome was a large horse that had quarter horse conformation. I have a cross the other way(belgian mare to a quarter horse stud). the out come looks like an almost perfect 15/3 hand belgian mare. I know that that isn’t always the case though.My mare has a full sister that looks like a large quarter horse. I think it’s a gamble..But to answer your question, you can breed either way..HTH

carl ny

dominiquer60

I read an interesting conversation on facebook about draft crosses and there were some good points. Such as if you want a Suffolk cross. There are not a lot so it is best to leave Suffolk mares to making purebreds and use your other breed of preference to cross with a Suffolk Stud. You should also take into consideration the cost of buying a sound breeding mare and the cost of the stud fees. It may be more cost effective to buy a mare of one breed vs another, it depends on where you live and what is available around you.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

That was my thinking. I have friends with morgan mares, and I also like the old style morgan horses as riding and cart horses. I know I can get a nice sound mare for a good price and I was thinking towards the future on if I could breed her to get a couple of draftier horses out of her.

Thanks

Livewater Farm
    Participant

Jared it is a roll of the dice been cross breeding Percherons on and off for years

my last go around I bred two of my purebred Percheron mares to an old style morgan stud

hoping for a pair of chunks what i got this time was 1 tall lean sport type hores 16-2 and growing and a 14-3 thicker morgan style filly
    needless to say they did not match as a team size or gaite

I have had better luck going the other way smaller mare to a Percheron stud
    only problem now is you can not find a stud under 17+ hands to breed to

so you thro the dice and wait and see what the mare throughs
    Bill

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Yeh that is kind of what I figured.
    Do you think the size of the stud matters if you use AI? Do you run into tough births?

Thanks
    Jared

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.