Building the raffle scoot

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Fabrication Building the raffle scoot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

The school year is ending and I look forward to some building projects. I’ve just started my hay wagon (pictures soon) and have ordered all the parts for a 10′ log scoot, built off of Les Barden’s plans. Today I took his plans and worked to translate them in a CAD program.

I’m sharing a pic of that process so you can see what the scoot will look like. I’ll post more pictures as the building process continues.

This great scoot could be yours! Contact a board member or Reva Seybolt if you want one. They may be in the next newsletter too. One ticket for $5, five tickets for $10.

I’m excited to get started on this.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

I picked up the planed down scoot runners yesterday. They are now 3″ wide oak, not 4.”
    After the adventures in hell brook last weekend I’ve decided to make the runner shoes out of hardwood, not pine. Pine is cheap and easy to replace, but wears down real fast on some surfaces.
    I am changing one other thing from the plans, pegging the shoes to the runners with 1″ oak pegs instead of threaded rod. I also noticed this weekend that when the shoes wear down to the level of the metal, the metal starts catching a lot of rocks and material. The metal will wear down too, but it causes increased draft, reduces smoothness of the pull, and is a pain to reset.
    Everything is ready to assemble and pegs are arriving tonight. I would get it all together except attaching the bunks and will upload pictures. We scouted for hornbeam poles two days ago and I am going to go harvest them this weekend.
    Get your tickets now. It’s going to be a good scoot. Hopefully someone finds it in a barn in 100 years and keeps it in service, like the scoot I currently use.

dominiquer60

Good work and timely as I am boosting a facebook post about it and the Gathering today.

LongViewFarm
    Participant

I just put shoes on the scoot. Made from a hardwood beam I believe to be oak from up in the hayloft. Pegged to the runners with 1″ oak pegs, so that as the shoes wear, so will the pegs, and not hang up like metal can. I also rigged the runners with all chains.
    Too dark and rainy to get a picture now. I’m just waiting on some fabricated brackets and the scoot will be done.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.