Busatis cutter bar

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jac
    Participant

Been reading my SFJ and the artical from the NEAPFD, and read with interest about the cutter bar on the I&J machine. I guess my question is aimed at Donn cauz he was there:D… any field results from any one ?.. it occurs to me that this bar could be mounted on a 3 wheeled hitch cart.. like the mid mounted mowers that IH did years ago.. even if I had to use an engine it would be better than trying to source parts for my museum piece mower…
    John

OldKat
    Participant

@jac 26071 wrote:

Been reading my SFJ and the artical from the NEAPFD, and read with interest about the cutter bar on the I&J machine. I guess my question is aimed at Donn cauz he was there:D… any field results from any one ?.. it occurs to me that this bar could be mounted on a 3 wheeled hitch cart.. like the mid mounted mowers that IH did years ago.. even if I had to use an engine it would be better than trying to source parts for my museum piece mower…
    John

I forget, what mower do you currently have John?

jac
    Participant

Hi OldKat… I have an Albion mower that dates from the 20s 0r 30s. Made in England and probably a great mower at the time but parts are real hard to source.. Not a single grease Zerk on it .. oil caps and bronze bushes thru the whole machine:eek:.. a real beaut to look at but when I read what Lynn Miller says is an acceptable pull for a mower an then try mine it isnt great:(.. these #9s you guys have over there seem to be the Rolls Royce of mowers {or should that be Cadilac?}…
    John

OldKat
    Participant

@jac 26076 wrote:

Hi OldKat… I have an Albion mower that dates from the 20s 0r 30s. Made in England and probably a great mower at the time but parts are real hard to source.. Not a single grease Zerk on it .. oil caps and bronze bushes thru the whole machine:eek:.. a real beaut to look at but when I read what Lynn Miller says is an acceptable pull for a mower an then try mine it isnt great:(.. these #9s you guys have over there seem to be the Rolls Royce of mowers {or should that be Cadilac?}…
    John

Oh that’s right, I think I remember you talking about the Albion once before. You are probably right, might be best to go with a modern alternative.

Good luck,

OldKat

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi john, I didn’t get to see that mower (two moving knives)working but I know they pull it with a ground drive PTO cart. Nice looking mower. I think the problem might be price. Can’t remember what it cost but it wasn’t cheap. talk to you soon, Donn

jac
    Participant

[URL=”http://www.esm-ept.de//DoubleknifeCuttingSystembiduxBusatisSystem.html

Here is a link to the main site for this system… it looks to me like a great idea for the draft animal machinary builders and I recon we will see a lot more of this in the future… mabey..
    John

Ridge
    Participant

I have 2 of the I&J mowers but they are the ones they used to sell being the Italian made Superior mower.They also have the double reciprocating bars.My wife and I both mow at the same time.I had one for 2 yrs and then got the second one so we could do all or most all the cutting with the horses.I sold a haybine to help with getting the 2nd.
    They are a fantastic mower and I&J says the new german made mower is better but I don’t know how if could be better than the one I have. The mow through down hay of windrowed hay or in the middle of the field without plugging.Can go as fast as the horses want or a person wants.I do have engines on mine but I see they are using the ground drive cart now on them.Never have been where they were doing that.I don’t know that they are any more expensive than other new mowers but the german one is more than the Superior was.
    I have tuned in to DAP for a long time but never joined until this post made me want to brag about the mowers.
    Have a great day. Ridge

jac
    Participant

Hi Ridge.. good to hear from you.. This is a great forum with really friendly folks… These mowers really interest me.. thinking out loud now.. I wonder if a 3 bar set up with the horses behind the bars pushing.. like the old buckrake idea.. 15ft at a time at 2.5mph.. that would be awesome…
    John

blue80
    Participant

I don’t mean to be a prima donna but I don’t want to cut with a 60 year old mower anymore if I can help it. These mowers are high on my wish list.

i have a grasshopper “problem” Sounds like turkey feed to me…

I want to try chicken/turkey/sheep tractors 8 ft. wide in “lanes” up and down the pasture. There will be 17 ft. of pasture/hay between chicken tractors.

I want to buy two of the I and J mowers, one ground drive and one gas powered, and remachine the gas powered to cut to the left.
    So with 3 horses on a PTO cart I can run up the chicken tractor “aisle” and cut 9 ft. either direction with the horses driving straight up the aisle which has largely been eaten down anyways.

Problem, that’s already a $15k setup without remachining the mower to cut to the left! Aw well, theres people buy 4 wheelers for that nowadays….
    Cmon santa!

Jay
    Participant

I saw the 2 blade I&J mower working in Virginia at Southern Draft Animal Days- seems to cut through down hay, weeds, fine. The knives are un protected and I wouldn’t want to cut a rough hay field with any stones or wood sticking up in it…. Jay

Ridge
    Participant

@Jay 26194 wrote:

I saw the 2 blade I&J mower working in Virginia at Southern Draft Animal Days- seems to cut through down hay, weeds, fine. The knives are un protected and I wouldn’t want to cut a rough hay field with any stones or wood sticking up in it…. Jay

The stone thing was one on of my worries but have had little problem.I have broken a couple but replaced and last year we cut about 120 acres without a single knife breaking and we do have some stones.Not as many as some but more than a lot.Haven’t been in a field with wood problem yet.Ridge

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.