Candlemas Day

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    NTrout
    Participant

Before the media got hold of it, “Groundhog Day” was Candlemas Day – a Christian holiday. In late January 1692, during King Williams War, 200-300 Abenaki marched overland, for over 75 miles(!) on snowshoes to attack the York, Maine (MA commonwealth) settlement – killing about 100 residents and marching another 80 or so hostages to Canada. Most of the original town was burned, and later moved, but one can still find snowshoe rock, where it is said the Abenaki left their gear for the sneek into town.

An old saying for Farmers taking stock this time of year: “Half your wood, and half your hay you must still have on Candlemas Day.”

How are your stocks?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jay
    Participant

Nice looking bard and hay.

dominiquer60

Stocks at home are holding up well, if you don’t count the confused maple trees. Who knows how the sap will run this year.

Happy Belated Imbolc (Pagan precursor to Candlemas on Feb 1) festival of the Goddess Brigid. “To receive her blessings, people would make a bed for Brigid and leave her food and drink, while items of clothing would be left outside for her to bless. Brigid was also invoked to protect homes and livestock. Special feasts were had, holy wells were visited and it was also a time for divination. Imbolc meaning “in the belly”, and refers to the pregnancy of ewes.”

Kind of fitting to be in the pregnancy of the seasons before the birth of spring, I imagine our old friend Robert Moonshadow would have some more to add about the old ways. I miss that goat herder donkey man and hope he is doing well.

Ron
    Participant

Thank you for telling me about the history of Feb, I had no idea my birthday was such an auspicious day of the year. To celebrate I think I will go and do the things I love best, pick up the eggs, feed the horses and cows and make breakfast for my granddaughter. In this dark time of the year she is a light in my life brighter then Saint Bridget’s.
    Cheers
    Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.