castration

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bivol
    Participant

hi!

i’d have a question about castration. if i should raise a mule somewhere in the future or castrate a yearling how do i avoid them hating me after i cut their testicles?
    same thing goes about a young horse.
    castration does hurt, and a mule, even i i raise it from birth, will hold a grudge against me and i will never be safe around it.
    how do i castrate it so it hurts the least?

local anesthesia? do i get it drunk? when to castrate? how to treat mule after it?

sanhestar
    Participant

Hi,

I realise your location but I must emphasize that you get the castration done by an approved and experienced vet.

You have to have it done under local anaesthesia, at least, the older the animal, the more likely it is that you have to add a general anaestesia, too.

The work has to be done properly, avoid unnecessary bleeding, have good wound healing (scars from castration can have influence on working performance). Poorly castrated horses/mules (especially when castrated older) can develop hernias where the testicles have been cut.

CIW
    Participant

Bivol,
    We’ve always made sure that we casterate them about 3 weeks before we wean him. I also take he and his momma to the vet and leave him there. I pick them up them next day. Then he doesn’t associate me with the situation. My vet uses general anesthesia and masculators to reduce bleeding.
    That way he still has his mommy. He’s getting anti-bodies from the milk and emotional support from her. I make sure that I have alot of contact with he and his mother during those next few weeks. Alot of stroking and gentleness during this time. No forcing. If he doesn’t want to come to close, I just keep on working with his momma. They aren’t offish for more than a few days. Most times they have to pout a little.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@bivol 5393 wrote:

hi!

i’d have a question about castration. if i should raise a mule somewhere in the future or castrate a yearling how do i avoid them hating me after i cut their testicles?
    same thing goes about a young horse.
    castration does hurt, and a mule, even i i raise it from birth, will hold a grudge against me and i will never be safe around it.
    how do i castrate it so it hurts the least?

local anesthesia? do i get it drunk? when to castrate? how to treat mule after it?

I’d get him “cut” as soon as they are both down. And, preferably before he was weaned. The younger the better.
    With one that I did, waited (kept putting off) until he was two. Too long. Takes about three minutes but the bigger animals are harder (at least for me) since I don’t do very many.
    Don’t worry about the mule “hating” you. I’ve never seen any difference in their behavior afterwards. If anything the two year-old was even friendlier – probably I might repeat the “operation”:).
    Joe (Ak)

Tom S
    Participant

I always cut mine as soon as I can. All of the mule testicles are down either at birth or right after. I do it right hear at the house. I usually cut them at 2 weeks to 2 months. Never had one that held a grudge. I believe that is an “old wives tale”. The last one I cut is 10 mos now. As soon as he got up, he was as friendly as he was before it was done. He still is the same. I use some demosadan to numb up his mind a little.

please think of pain-medication; might make the following day(s) a lot easier on them…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.