Cattle fence

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Marshall
    Participant

In the spring I am planning on fencing 10 acres by the road. During the summer I will plant oats and corn, then when they come off I will turn the feeder calves out. My question is, if I put a gate for equipment access how do I keep people from messing wih it when the animals are in there? Since people can’t leave well enough alone would a chain and padlock on a gate be enough or just an invite for bolt cutters?

jen judkins
    Participant

Where do you live, Marshall? No one in my town would think of opening a gate that was closed and not shut it behind them….

Marshall
    Participant

Jen, I am in the Thumb of Michigan. The last several years we have had an influx of “citidiots” that have no respect for anyone or anything. There are some that would open a gate and let animals out just because they could. The ones to the south of me think that since they own several acres of woods that they own all trees around them. I had to get a survey to prove to them the trees I was cutting are on my property. I had stakes put in every 200 feet and that took care of that problem. Now they get out the four wheelers and guns if they see us trying to hunt deer. I could fence the field with no gates by the road but that would be a pain in the rear.

Billy Foster
    Participant

Marshall
    my experience with this type of person has allowed me to realize they tend to be fairly simple minded and paranoid..Luckily. What I mean by luckily is they can be fairly easily out witted. I have found keeping gates or equipment in plain sight for all to see, i.e., by the road reduces the chances that someone will screw with it since they are at risk of being caught. I would think a fake video camera (having a little flashing light indicating it is on) placed on a pole in the direction of gate or roadway could have the same effect. I am always courteous to these people and never bad mouth them in town, even to others that don’t like them . Often the only “thing” they have is there pride so by all means do not insult it or they will go to extremes to defend it. We are lucky that most of our neighbors like us and let us know whenever a strange vehicle comes around.
    Not sure that was an answer but hope it helps
    Billy

Billy Foster
    Participant

Oh…also make sure you drop some of that corn off at some of your neighbors houses. I drop some fire wood off to the “old guy” that owns one of the pastures we use, another neighbor gets lamb every year and another I keep the entrance to her driveway plowed out. All for free but I figure it keeps them looking out for me.

Oxhill
    Participant
    Marshall
    Participant

Billy, I am probably over thinking this. I just hate to chase cattle over someone elses ignorance.

Billy Foster
    Participant

Marshall
    I have had very little actual problem with this either but that has not stopped me from worrying about it :-). My wife and I say that our concern for the details is why so many “things” work out well for us. You are on the right track.
    Billy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.