Central Texas Newbie

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Introductions Central Texas Newbie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    TinyFarm
    Participant

Hello,

I grew up riding and still ride, but I’m new to driving. I’m glad that this forum and network exists for communicating with other people into draft animal power.

I can start colts under saddle and rope really well. I’m also learning a bit about English riding, but I’ve only had one driving lesson with a nice Amish fellow.

I have a stout 14.1 hand pony (BLM mustang) that I plan to start driving a little bit and put to a stone boat. She’s going pretty well under an English saddle right now and isn’t very spooky. She’s actually quite confident and is a bit of a leader.

My other Mustang is more flighty and quicker on her feet. I plan to long line her a bit before I ride her. I’ve only sat on her briefly. I will probably never hitch her though. My lack of experience with driving horses and her being a little spooky isn’t a good combo. She’s getting better with time, but she’s always keeping an eye out for predators.

My 3rd horse is a big stout 11 yr old paint horse that was a great roping horse, but is too cripple for roping now. He good company for my mustang mares and helps them have a nice little herd dynamic here.

I live with them on 120 acre place of which I’m renting about 20 acres for them. My long term goal is to grow an acre or two of vegetable for farmers markets and sell a couple of English ponies a year that’ll go over fences smoothly at local shows.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Welcome, There is a young woman in the pacific northwest who has a team of mustangs that she farms with. Please post some picture/stories of your progress working with your horses! This a great forum and most of us don’t mind answering questions that we have answered before, so dont be shy.

TinyFarm
    Participant

Thanks Jared! I saw an article in an issue of the Small Farmer’s Journal some time in the last 4 years about a woman working a team of mustangs in southern Oregon. They were from the Kiger herd, if I remember correctly.

I’ll post a couple of pics.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.