Chainsaw Woes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Does’ Leap
    Participant

I run a Husqvarna 372 XP. After 4 years or so it seized up and I am looking at replacing the top end. Alternatively, I might buy a new 372 and use the old one for parts however I am a little wary after this experience. Am I expecting too much? I have only cut between 120 – 130 MBF with this saw (combo sawlogs and firewood) over that time period.

Any thoughts / recommendations?

George

Brad Johnson
    Participant

George-
    What to say here about new saws…I have two relatively new 562 XP saws, and the old one already needs a short block put in ($350 repair with parts and labor), so it is now my parts saw. The newer 562 still runs well, but the parts on it are just poor. The plastic and metal materials are very poor quality, and I have had to put lots of replacement parts into that saw. My yard saw is a 2000 Jonsered 2162 which is a bit heavy and starts hard but is very reliable. I am not sure where I am headed when I need my next saw, the choices seem to leave a lot to be desired. The 562 is light, powerful and well balanced but not well made for commercial use…
    -Brad

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hi Brad:

Any issues with the new fangled carburetor on the 562, or non-carburetor I should say? A commercial logging buddy of mine with a large skidder figures he should get about a year out of saw, but he is cutting 5-6 mbf/day. Go figure.

I still have my old Husky 365 and it is still going (with some repairs) having cut 3-4x the footage than I was able to cut with that 372.

George

Hopewell Farm
    Participant

George,

Like Brad, I am using the 562xp for commercial work. I also like the weight and power of these saws, though I do go back to my 576xp at times for projects with larger hardwood. One of my 562s has worked well with very few issues. The other has had the carb replaced, which did not fix the issue. Husky ultimately resolved the issue by replacing my saw with an entirely new one. This all transpired during mud season so it wasn’t a big issue. But I would agree with Brad I have broken some little bits and pieces off these saws after limited usage that make me somewhat suspect of the overall quality of newer saws. I will stick with them for now, I am not sure what I would get in the future should the 562s become maintenance nightmares. I have also been told that using non-ethanol gas (not treated ethanol gas, but actually non-ethanol gas) is important for the newer autotune saws. I luckily have a couple of stations that are fairly local to get non-enthanol gas.

John

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hi John:

I am considering a Stihl 631. My dealer (who also sells Husky) is pushing this saw. He brought me back into the shop to look at my saw and his shop was filled with Husqvarna saws and not one Stihl. He hasn’t had a major Stihl repair for the 5 years he has been carrying them.

The downside is the 631 is almost a pound heavier than the 372 and doesn’t turn as fast – plenty of torque though. It is also more expensive (pushing $1000). Hope to borrow a logger friend’s 631 and give it a try. He loves it. Anyone run Stihls out there?

George

Will Stephens
    Participant

I use Stihl but not commercially. 5-15 cord of firewood per year. I use an MS250 for limbing and small logg crosscut and an MS441 for the big stuff. Never a problem. 441 is heavy and probably bigger than I really needed to get after a while but is is surprisingly good on fuel.

Brad Johnson
    Participant

George-
    The carbs on my 562’s are good in terms of adjustment – none needed, and they do adjust for temp. For example, if I have my saw inside overnight and then start cutting in the cold it runs a bit rough for a time and then smooths out. But, the compression release sucks and in fact I never use it as when the saws get hot they will not start, not at all! I get about 2 full seasons out of my primary felling saw and then they go to the landing, and that is about 300-400 mbf annually, so not near as much as the skidded operator mentioned above. On the positive side, the 562 just has so much power and chain speed, and is very light. The shop guys at Windy Ridge, where I usually but the saws, call the 562 the “crack saw”. In other words, they are fantastic when they run well but usually bite you in the ass at some point! I did run Stihl’s for awhile in Maine and I like them, but they are heavier, and seems to be better built. Also, I did not have good luck at all with Husky in terms of warranty. My older 562 (2 years old now but had problems almost right off the shelf) is now a parts saw as it needs a short block put in and I don’t want to put any more money into that piece of crap…
    -Brad

Hopewell Farm
    Participant

George,

I don’t have any recent experience with Stihl saws. I run Husky’s because the shops that are closest to me only sell that brand. If I do need parts, I don’t want to burn half a day or more chasing after them. Probably not the best reason to choose a brand, but that’s my current rational. Let us know if you decide to choose a Stihl saw, I would be interested in your thoughts after some use.

John

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.