chronic progressive lymphedema

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses chronic progressive lymphedema

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tom Coughlin
    Participant

Does anyone here have any experience with this condition .I have a Brabant mare that has it,I know it can’t be cured and will probably get her in the end ,I want to do all that i can to slow it. beside keeping her dry ,clean and shaved and really keeping on top of the recuring mite problems has anyone had any luck keeping this progressing as slow as possible ? Anyone who has a horse with heavy feathering should at least know about this ,i guess it does not show until a horse is past breeding age ,the latest research is guessing it may be genetic but not much is known. Thanks, Tom C.

carl ny
    Participant

Look at my other post under Draft Horses. My son also said that he read an article where they used Brabant tissue and other horse tissue in a test, the mites didn’t hardly bother the other tissue but devoured the Brabant tissue.

carl nny

Tom Coughlin
    Participant

Thanks Carl ,i saw the other post ,i thought i would start another thread with c.p.l. in the title

Jeroen
    Participant

Hi Tom,

In fact one of my mares was diagnosed with CPL 7 years ago and I have it under control, no progress in the ilness anymore. She is still going strong at 16.

I have some documentation about it, but sadly all in the dutch language.
    What worked for me:
    In winter I cut the feathering with sissors, no shaving!
    In summer I cut the cavities (?) under the feathers.
    Every 3 months they get treated with Cydectin against the mites.
    Wounds (when dried up) are treated with zinc ointment (a french version wich is called: Mitosyl)
    No free pasturing, only a few hours a day and no rich spring pasture.
    No water on the legs after work. I never even wash them, the skin gets too soft.
    It takes 15 minuters a day, but this is time well invested.

Good luck and feel free to ask.

Jeroen

kiona

Tom Coughlin
    Participant

Thank you Jeroen,you are a person i hoped would respond -someone with direct knowledge of this .Why no shaving, i am guessing because it irritates the skin? what do you mean by cut cavities in summer? If you could email me your documentation , I can get it translated .It seems no one in this country is really studying this issue .There was a little research done at the University of California Davis but that is a few years old and there has been no follow up.Is there something in the richness of lush grass that makes the condition worse ? I assumed that diet had some effect on this do you know specifically what to avoid in the diet ,ie. proteins or sugars . I am sure i will have more questions later . Thank you so much for responding from both myself and Lynne my mare .That’s a nice pic, she is a beauty. Tom

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

This is very interesting, please keep posting information as it comes so that we have some more documentation. I hope you get it under control.

Jeroen
    Participant

I will have a look for the documentation, don’t know if I have it digitally.

No shaving is because it irritates, infects and it removes the little protection that is left when there is a quarterinch of hair.Aerating is the key thing.
    In summer we keep the hollow part under the pastern cut short (like in winter, but then everything). That way this spot stays cool and fungus don’t get a chance do develop.

No free pasture and no bought prepared food because of the too many proteins and sugars.
    In my opinion and experience this goes for all heavy drafts. We mix our own oats, wheat, crushed(?) barley and sometimes corn. Besides that we give lots of good hay made without (chemical) fertilisers.

I almost forgot: work is good, keep her moving. The first year I did two hours a day (every day!), lot of light work on the forecart.

What I have read on dutch forums in the past is that some owners with CPL brabants don’t have their horses shot and don’t put them on concrete because when it irritates the shocks while pounding are not good for their legs. Also fly protection (masks, blankets and chemicals) in summer helps to keep them in shape (they tend to lose weight).

Give Lynne a hug from me, I know they have a hard time with this.

Jeroen

PS To give you some courage my old lady made her debut in the Bordeaux vineyards last week and crushed all the other horses with her power and stamina:
    kiona 2

k3

carl ny
    Participant

I guess that I miss spook when I said to shave the leg, I never “shave”, I just clip with about 1/2 in. extension on the clippers. Just be careful to not irritate the shin, maybe hand shears would be better. Beautiful mare you have …

carl nny

carl ny
    Participant

Spell check; that should be “spoke”. LOL

Tom Coughlin
    Participant

Hi Jeroen, Thanks for the support ,If you could find that documentation that would be great . I have been passing along this info to my veterinarian and he is excited to learn more he has a couple other horses in his care with this issue .there is not much info in this country about this ,for example he suspected there might be a link with diet but all his “experts” did not mention that at all .So if possible please pass on all you know ,we all will be grateful . Thank you very much. Tom

Jeroen
    Participant

I am searching!

Just found some info from Belgium and in 2003 there was some research conducted by the university of Antwerp (belgium) together with the universiteit of California, Davis (UCDavis) USA. Lead researcher was Prof. Dr. V. Affolter in cooperation with Drs. G. Ferraro.
    Later the catholic univeristy of Leuven (near Brussels) did some research, but I did not find interesting results.

In the attachment the explanation of the illness (in Dutch).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jeroen
    Participant

I forgot to mention that leg mites also make things worse. That is what the Cydectin is for.

A photo of the package:
    cy

I have a scan of an article on leg mites in the draft horse journal autumn 2012 which is too big too upload. If you send me your E-mailadres I can mail it to anyone interested.

Mine you can find through our blog: http://jardin-esperande.blogspot.fr/ (nous contacter).

Does’ Leap
    Participant

I’ve pasted some links below that came up in another group, didn’t look through all the links, but the harlequin farms link does seem to have quite a bit there. Best of luck.

—–Original Message—–
    From: NRCplusgrads@yahoogroups.com [mailto:NRCplusgrads@yahoogroups.com] On
    Behalf Of Adriane Schaeffer
    Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:41 PM
    To: NRCplusgrads@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Re: [NRCplusgrads] CPL in draft horse

I have a client here in western Washington with a Clyde mare in the middle
    stages of CPL. What were you wanting to know?

There is information from Davis where they are doing research into it:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/elephantitis/about.html
    http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/elephantitis/management.htm
    http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/elephantitis/research.html

Also, there is a farm in VA that has funded the research at Davis that has
    more:

http://www.ayrshirefarm.com/shires/Shires/C.P.L.html

Other links:
    http://www.harlequinfarmsgypsyhorses.com/ChronicProgressiveLymphedema.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16536384
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16808668

Hope this helps; I really hope you’re not having this problem and it’s
    something else instead.

Adriane

Show message history

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.