Clearing for habitat job

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Working Situations Clearing for habitat job

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Project coming up in 2008 that involves clearing about half and acre for Box Turtle nesting habitat on conservation land. It is in a well used 120 acre park/reservation. Could the job be done with animal power? If so how much $ ? This would also involve some interpreting to the public. The location is in Norwell, MA. I have garnered some quotes for it to be done mechanically. Looking for similarly (respectively) priced options. Please respond to this thread with suggestions, bids or concerns.

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Welcome,

What does “clearing” mean in this instance?

Mark

Anonymous
    Inactive

Clearing means removing all of the trees. It involves felling and removing the trees out of the reservation. Slash and debris can be cleaned up with staff. Trails are wide. Distance to landing about 2000 feet. Area will be closed during work. I don’t know all of the terminology involved but location seems logical for a team or two of horses, mules or oxen to drag out of the forest.
    Located in a village center and could be a nice event with the right contractor.

In 2006 we had six acres cleared in Hingham to expand Grassland Bird Nesting Habitat. This involved heavy machinery and has taken a lot of machines and personpower to get it to grassland. This project identifies critical habitats and works to protect or restore it. Who else will do it in Suburban Boston with these land prices?

Rick Alger
    Participant

I would have to see the site to make a rational bid, and it’s a long way from Milan, NH, so I’ll give you an off-the-wall estimate to see if it’s worth getting together. It could take two to five weeks for me and my team of horses to cut and skid, maybe longer, because of the 2000 foot skid. A lot depends on the size and volume of the wood. Do you have an inventory?

It’s not clear how the slash would be managed. If you can burn in that town, that would probably be the best way to clean it up. If you plan to chip, then someone would have to rent an industrial chipper. Either way the clean-up could take at least a week depending on how much help is at hand. Skidding brush 2000 feet and then hauling it to a landfill would take forever.

I would need a place to pitch a tent or otherwise hole up, and a spot to pasture and water my horses.

I assume the wood is mostly low grade but fairly heavily stocked, ie it has enough value and volume so that it can at least be sold and cover paying the trucker, but it does not represent a significant commercial return.

So based on the scenario above, roughly five weeks labor for man and team, no chipper rental, and a place to set up rough quarters for me and my horses, I would take the job for $4,500 with any after-trucking log revenue returning to the project.

If this figure is anywhere near what makes sense for your project, I will be glad to visit you and the site in the spring to firm up the estimate.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Rick, That figure is definitley something I can work with. Let me get the inventory together and more details about the project. We have a pretty big chipper, takes smaller trees, so I think that could be taken care of. We are pretty efficent chippers! I live on site so accomodations can be arranged and I have an enormous grassy lawn with a barn. Thanks for “going out on a limb” with the figure. It gives me hope that we can get this together.
    Check back soon for more details.

Rick Alger
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll be working off the grid for a few months, so my responses may be limited to weekends. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

I think the numbers given by Rik are pretty close. I travel for logging job, putting a small camper in for myself and using what-ever for the horse. Its hard to really figure without seeing the lot. Can one log in Massachusetts without taking the state test for a logger? Perhaps “clearing” is considered a different activity.
    I would also be interested in taking a look if you would forward more particulars.
    Thanks….Jim Ostergard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.