Colfax Plowing Bee

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Events Colfax Plowing Bee

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    near horse
    Participant

I just got home from a weekend plowing and planting event at Colfax, WA. Weather was great (for the first time since Moses was a freshman) and we had a lot of teams turn up. In one weekend they plow, springtooth, fertilize, and plant wheat on about 20 ac. It can and did turn into a traffic jam of plows when you get down to the last little bit of ground – and lots of turning. I was happy with how my team performed (the teamster, maybe not so much:p).

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Any photos, Geoff?

near horse
    Participant

Hi Robert,

Sorry – I brought a camera but didn’t take any pictures. I was just too excited about getting to spend time working the horses. There were A LOT of other folks out taking pictures – tripods and the whole 9-yards. I don’t know how to find out who was taking the pics but I’ll look into it.

An interesting sidelight, this field is right along the 2-lane highway that heads toward Seattle so it sees a fair amount of traffic. Since the weather was nice and it was “Mom’s weekend” at the local university, there were plenty of people out looking for stuff to do. Anyway, there was a group of maybe 5 to 15 motorcyclists going by and one guy must have been watching the plowing a little too close as he drove off the road, down the shoulder and out into the plowed ground 😮 I didn’t see it happen but when I came around for another pass, a couple of guys were pushing his bike back out of the field and there was this weird single tire track in the freshly turned soil. The guy was alright (I’m not even sure he fell over) and the horses didn’t even seem to notice. People-

OldKat
    Participant

@near horse 8205 wrote:

Hi Robert,

Sorry – I brought a camera but didn’t take any pictures. I was just too excited about getting to spend time working the horses. There were A LOT of other folks out taking pictures – tripods and the whole 9-yards. I don’t know how to find out who was taking the pics but I’ll look into it.

An interesting sidelight, this field is right along the 2-lane highway that heads toward Seattle so it sees a fair amount of traffic. Since the weather was nice and it was “Mom’s weekend” at the local university, there were plenty of people out looking for stuff to do. Anyway, there was a group of maybe 5 to 15 motorcyclists going by and one guy must have been watching the plowing a little too close as he drove off the road, down the shoulder and out into the plowed ground 😮 I didn’t see it happen but when I came around for another pass, a couple of guys were pushing his bike back out of the field and there was this weird single tire track in the freshly turned soil. The guy was alright (I’m not even sure he fell over) and the horses didn’t even seem to notice. People-

LMAO: Tears came to my eyes as I was picturing this. Not laughing at the guys misfortune, but I’ve done stuff like that before so I can relate.

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Yeah, me too… only there’s usually a pair of daisy-dukes & a tanktop involved. 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.